We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairmont Park

Kansas City
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Fairmont Park

Will be visiting St Louis area in a couple weeks and plan on attending Tuesday afternoon races at Fairmont Park. I'm a fan of seedy race tracks, but this time will have my wife and toddlers - just wanted to make sure from those that have been there that its not a risky thing to do from a safety perspective.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairmont Park

The track is safe but grungy. Don't plan to eat there. Tell your wife to wear walking shoes. The parking lot is gravelly and will wreck nice heels. they have lots of security

Overland, Missouri...
Level Contributor
13 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairmont Park

Seconded. I've seen families there a few times. There is indoor and outdoor seating--in my opinion more fun to sit outside on the benches as you can sit right on a finish line. It is seedy, you won't like the area but don't let that stop you, its a great experience! Comfy shoes are a must, eat elsewhere beforehand--there are brats and hot dogs but not much else and not really worth it. The kids can go look at the horses between races which should be neat for them. If you don't stay until the end its not a big deal as the last race tends to determine the winner of the losers. Lots of empty space inside and out even with a crowd, but very fun!

Quick amend--the kids may like running around the Cahokia Mounds beforehand if you have time.

Edited: 11:18 pm, July 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
34 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairmont Park

I go to Fairmount on Tuesday afternoons about once a month in the summer. It's fine security wise, you will not have any issues. It's literally 15-30 seconds from the parking lot to the highway, so don't worry about the neighborhood it's in.

Horse Hooky on Tuesday afternoon's is fun and cheap. $1 hot dogs (which are ok, not bad, not great). $1.50 beers, including Blue Moon, Killians, etc. $1 sodas. Admission is only $1.50/person. Not sure if toddlers have to pay - check their website, it may tell you. (fairmountpark.com) They have all the usual junk food (pizza, pretzels, popcorn, chicken fingers, etc.

You will see all types of people there. Last week I saw familes with kids ranging from infants to 16-17 year olds, businessmen taking a long lunch, retirees, college kids, blue collar workers, and one or two guys that looked semi-homeless. Everybody is having fun and trying to win $$$. I've never seen any fights or confrontations either inside or outside the track.

4. Re: Fairmont Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 31, 2014