We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapolis MO/Elephant Rocks area

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Annapolis MO/Elephant Rocks area

I'm planning 2 or 3 days in this area later this summer, and I've not been there before. Any recommendations on shopping, dining, activities, hikes not to miss? Thanks!

Eureka, Missouri
Level Contributor
301 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annapolis MO/Elephant Rocks area

Highway 49 will take you north to Taum Sauk Mountain state park which has some good trails. It will also take you to Johnson's Shut-ins for water activities and Elephant rocks for some exploring. You could drive south to Van Buren and Big Springs and do some floating on the Current River. These activities would fill 3 days. No clue as to dining options, all you have in the area are very small towns and the only shopping I can envision is browsing in antique shops or local shops. I'd advise checking the restaurant section on Trip Advisor for each town in the vicinity where you are staying.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annapolis MO/Elephant Rocks area

Thanks eureka judy. I'll look on chowhound as well. If anyone else has something to share, I'm all ears!

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annapolis MO/Elephant Rocks area

Johnson's Shutins and Elephant Rocks are the big must sees, as you probably know. Three more great hikes in the area: Hughes Mountain (a must), Pickle Springs Natural Area and Hawn State Park - Pickle Creek trail. The last two are east of Farmington, so a bit of a drive from Annapolis. There are a couple of wineries just east of Farmington as well, and the Ste. Genevieve wine trail (Route de Vin) isn't too far. We've eaten at Spokes in Farmington three times and it's been really good each time. Try the fried pickles.

Leave a little time to explore Caledonia, which is between Elephant Rocks and Hughes Mountain (10 miles south of Potosi). We had a decent fried chicken meal there - can't remember the name of the restaurant. There is also a BBQ place there that was okay. For a float trip, the Black River should be really good with all the rain we've had (sometimes it gets too low when the weather is dry). You can rent canoes near Lesterville.

Lake Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
15 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annapolis MO/Elephant Rocks area

I agree with the other post about Farmington. Between Farmington and Ste. Genevieve (if not the oldest, one of the oldest towns west of the Mississippi with many historic buildings) there are a few wineries. A very large one is Crown Valley that also has a brewery. Charleville Winery and brewery is a really nice respite looking over the hills. But, Elephant Rocks and Johnson Shut-ins are really good choices.

Level Contributor
24 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annapolis MO/Elephant Rocks area

Fort Davidson is the sight of the Pilot Knob battle during the civil war and it's not far from Elephant Rocks. The visitors center there had a nice assortment of artifacts and the Rangers were very helpful. We enjoyed our visit there.

6. Re: Annapolis MO/Elephant Rocks area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 15, 2014