We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping tips.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping tips.

Hello.

Can anyone give me a few pointers on tipping ?

I never seem to get it right. In a bar, if I pay as I go, what's the general tip for a drink ? What about if I run a tab ? How about in restaurants ? Taxis ?

I always walk out of a place feeling guilty because I haven't got a handle on how much to tip.

Probably a pretty inane question to an American, but it would be nice to feel confident that I won't turn myself into persona non grata as I lay waste to St. Louis' bars and eateries !

Regards.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping tips.

Tipping is done in larger amounts than the UK or Europe. There will be different responses, but depending on type of restaurant and level of service, I tip 15-20% of the pre-tax bill. Drinks only, use your discretion, but I'd say 10% minimum. Cabs, I usually tip 1 or 2 dollars on an $8-10 ride. Keep cab company numbers handy, except for downtown at hotels, Gateway Trans. Center (train and bus station) and the airport, you'll likely have to call for one. Enjoy!

Edited: 9:19 pm, April 22, 2013
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping tips.

Thank you for your quick response. It at least gives me confidence that I'll get it right this time. I shall keep several taxi numbers handy, as I'm staying a couple of miles outside of Downtown ( Lafayette Square ) and like to stay out late.

Regards,

David.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping tips.

Agree with clvier on all points. We definitetly tip more than in the UK. 20% is always safe if you want to keep it simple.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping tips.

There are busses that go to the Square, not sure how late they run though or the route they take. My recommendation is Laclede Cab for cabs. Where are you staying in LS? You are a very short cab ride to trains which will take you several places good for tourists (Delmar Loop, Central West End, Forest Park, to name a few).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping tips.

Thank you again for some great replies.

David.

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping tips.

I asked around some. I think restaurants are pretty easy. 15-20%, depending on service. Taxis I usually round up to the next dollar or two, maybe 15%.

I think bars are all over the board, depending on the place. At the bar counter, just ordering a beer, I think a lot of people just don't tip, especially if it is crowded, or may round up to the next dollar. I usually tip a buck per drink, maybe more if a cocktail. If I'm sitting and being served, then i do the same as at a restaurant, 15-20%.

7. Re: Tipping tips.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 25, 2014