We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warnings about St. Louis?

Which Saint Louis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Warnings about St. Louis?

We are planning to drive across the US in the summer and one of our stops will be St. Louis. I've seen a number of quite negative reviews/warnings about crime etc. in St. Louis on VirtualTourist. Could someone local give some ideas on which areas to avoid if any? We're from Toronto so large urban areas aren't a problem, we'd just like some insider tips. We'd like to stay in the Arch area and try some of your famous Italian restaurants. Thanks for your help.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Warnings about St. Louis?

I'm a policeman in St Louis City, and like any city you need to be aware of your surroundings.

St Louis is a 'spotty" city, meaning a couple blocks here are great and couple over there aren't so good. Don't let that discourage you. A place imparticular like this is S. Grand Ave., south of Highway 44. This area is our Asian center. The street is lined with Veitnese resturants and Asian food stores. There are also some Mexican and Thai restuarants there. If you've never had Vietnese food your missing out. Try Pho Grand: 3195 S. Grand Ave! Look up Ted Drews Custard: 6726 Chippewa (St Louis Hills; great area), and Bartinlino's: 3195 Hampton ("The Hill": Italian area of the city and very nice.

To answer your question: avoid North St Louis!!! Although, it has a lot of old charm and history in the buildings, it is run down and crime ridden. There are nice places up north to go though. Also avoid getting off the main drives if the area begins to look run down.

Beyond that I hope you enjoy your trip. If you like, you can email me and I'll give you some more tips: MSIMPSON@SLMPD.ORG.

Matt

Flint, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Warnings about St. Louis?

Crime rate St. Louis = 14,285 per 100k population

murder rate = 7.3

Crime rate New York City = 3100 per 100k population

murder rate = 31.4

(numbers from 2002)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Warnings about St. Louis?

another great place on the hill is giantonis. im not sure of the spelling. i grew up in stl, and every time i come back i eat there. have the pasta with scallops. delicious.

Saint Peters
Level Contributor
496 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Warnings about St. Louis?

I think you meant Giovanni's. You won't find any finer Italian food on the Hill. A bit pricey, but worth it.

st louis, mo
Level Contributor
13 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Warnings about St. Louis?

We love St. Louis! Great restaurants and galleries in the Central West End (between Maryland and McPherson,on Euclid). We like Bar Italia and Liluma. Don't miss the wonderful French historic districts--Lafayette Square and Soulard. Try Eleven Eleven Mississippi for a wonderful meal. The Hill is great: we like Lorenzo's Trattoria, LoRusso's Cuccina, Bastante, and Trattoria Marcella. Tony's downtown is the ultimate St. Louis formal Italian restaurant; Anthony's Cafe next door has the same kitchen, but serves more casual meals. We also love the restaurants in Forest Park: Wolfgang Puck's cafe at the Art Museum (a renowned collection; free), the Boat House Cafe for casual meals (you can rent a paddle boat, too), Meriwether's in the History Museum (a great place overlooking the park). In Tower Grove Park, a beautiful Victorian "walking park" off South Grand, there is Cafe Madeleine for a wonderful Sunday Brunch in the Piper Palm House Conservatory, and don't miss the world-famous Missouri Botanical Gardens nearby. South Grand between Arsenal and Utah has terrific ethnic restaurants (The King and I for Thai food, Sekisui for Japanese, Cafe Natasha for Persian, Lemongrass or Pho Grand for Vietnamese, South City Diner for 50s decor and great food). Further south on Grand is a branch of Ted Drewes, but the main place to order a Drewes frozen custard (called a "concrete") is west of Grand on Chippewa about two miles. Don't miss the Pulitzer Art Museum (Washington Ave. near Spring St., a distinguished, free, small museum (Monet's water lilies, a small choice modern collection) designed by Tadao Ando) near Saint Louis University, and then have lunch at Nadoz--a popular cafe on the corner of Lindell and Springthat serves terrific crepes. Another popular area is the Delmar Loop (Delmar between Skinker and Big Bend). Lots of small restaurants. Blueberry Hill is a burger place where Chuck Berry sings once a month (reservations needed far in advance). Fitz's rootbeer brewery is fun. There are parking lots for the Delmar Loop behind the shops on the north side of the street. Downtown, the Washington Ave. area is full of renovated lofts and new restaurants, but we like the St. Louis Brewery on Locust for wonderful seasonal beers from Schlafly and great mussels. We hate toasted ravioli, but other local delicacies are great: thin-crust St. Louis-style pizza, "gooey cake", Ted Drewes "concrete" (esp. the "cardinal sin").

St. louis
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Warnings about St. Louis?

I hope you will have time to visit our beautiful Forest Park home of the St. Louis Zoo and Muny opera house (outdoor theater). I just returned from New York, which I dearly love, However Central park holds nothing to our wonderful Forest Park. This is a great place to spend a day.......you will be safe during the day, and use common sense at night, stay where the crowds are.......boat house and muny and you will be just fine!! Hope you enjoy your visit to St Louis

Pam