We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Chicago to St. Louis & back

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Chicago to St. Louis & back

Trying to get ferry info. but no answer at the listed #. Have never taken a ferry, but assume they all take cars? We'll be coming in on Rt. 55. Does it make sense to do a ferry on the way in, then do a different one on the return trip so we can stop at Pere Marquette State Park. Would this be Grafton Ferry or Brussels?

Also, would like suggestions for maybe an hour's drive to go to wineries & sightseeing at maybe Hermann, St. Charles or St. Genevieve??? We'll be staying at Westport Plaza. I know St. Charles is closest, St. Gen. maybe 2 hrs?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Hermann
Hermann
Missouri
Westport Plaza
Westport Plaza
34 Reviews
Saint Louis, MO
St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Chicago to St. Louis & back

If you're driving from Chicago to St. Louis on I-55 there's no ferry involved: just one bridge in downtown.

However if you're wanting to take a scenic route up route 3 there are two options and yes, they all take cars.

-Cross the Mississippi River on the Grafton ferry.

or

-Go a few miles north to the Brussles ferry and cross the Mississippi and then drive a few miles and cross the Missouri on the Golden Eagle ferry.

When we do the scenic drive we do the Golden Eagle/Brussels combination. The Grafton ferry is more for area residents getting to St. Louis area jobs faster.

These pages look to be a good resources.

greatriverroad.com/secondarypages/ferries.htm

greatriverroad.com/secondarypages/ferriesMap…

If staying in the Westport area:

-Augusta is about a 45 minute drive

-Hermann is a 90 minute drive

-Ste. Genevieve is a 2 hour drive.

So yes: you're correct on your times.

Mentioned in this post
Mississippi
Mississippi
United States
Missouri
Missouri
United States
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Augusta
Augusta
Missouri
Hermann
Hermann
Missouri
st. louis, missouri
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Chicago to St. Louis & back

For you wineries, you might want to take hwy 40/64 to hwy 94, head south to Augusta and then you could continue along that road into Hermann, or I-70 to the Hermann exit would be quicker to Hermann, but certainly a lot less scenic. St. charles is very close to Westport Plaza, on the northern end of hwy 94, but we found Augusta interesting and a beautiful drive. St. Charles i fun for antique shopping and such also.

Mentioned in this post
Augusta
Augusta
Missouri
Hermann
Hermann
Missouri
Westport Plaza
Westport Plaza
34 Reviews
Saint Louis, MO
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Chicago to St. Louis & back

Have seen that link, but I was still confused. You've helped more. Thanks. Will take your suggestions for driving & the ferries. That sounds like fun.

As far as a day trip to one of the other towns on Sat., do you have a favorite place or is there another scenic town we should see? Looking for a quaint little town for lunch w/ wineries, small shops etc.

Thanks again,

Bonnie

St. Louis MO
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Chicago to St. Louis & back

I would recommend the following.

1) Drive out Highway 94 towards Augusta.

2) Stop at one or more of the following wineries

-Montelle

-Mt. Pleasant

-Balducci

3) Drive back to downtown St. Charles for the early evening.

And of course don't drink and drive.

Mentioned in this post
Augusta
Augusta
Missouri
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,100 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Chicago to St. Louis & back

I came in on I-70 on a Thursday and left on Sunday on I-55 (went to Springfield and seen the State of Illinois Capital Building and Lincoln Museum)

Found the freeways much better with fewer semi trucks on Sunday. Both times moved good but like I left Springfield on I-72 @ 1pm and was no other cars near mine. Sure on the weekdays the 18 wheel trucks are all around.

Edited: 10:02 pm, April 28, 2010
Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Driving from Chicago to St. Louis & back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 26, 2010