We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gaspe Peninsula Summer Timing

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Gaspe Peninsula Summer Timing

I'm in the early stages of looking at a trip this summer that would be Fundy NP in New Brunswick, the Gaspe Peninsula and Quebec City. I had seen in these forums that from roughly 7/19 -8/2 there is sort of a province-wide vacation period when the Gaspe area gets especially packed. If I was in the area in the week before then, or in mid-August, would it be substantially less crowded?

In the Gaspe peninsula I'd be interested in visiting Forillon NP & Perce/Bonaventure, hiking, driving and possibly kayaking and/or going to a beach on the Chaleur Bay side. Would the weather in mid-August be about the same as in Late July?

Also is that two week period something that would similarly effect how crowded it is in New Brunswick and/or Quebec City?

Thank You,

Matt

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gaspe Peninsula Summer Timing

One week before July 19 will more than likely see a lesser affluence in the Gaspé peninsula; mid-August: not necessarily, as more and more locals take their vacation in August. Nonetheless it should still be less crowded than during the construction workers' holidays. Weatherwise, you are less likely to experience horrid heatwaves in August compared to July; the evenings are starting to get a tad cooler in August, just take a few layers with you just in case. If you plan on visiting Forillon National Park www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/qc/forillon/index.aspx , then by all means do take warmer clothing with you because it is a lot cooler on the top (subarctic climate).

As you maybe know, our summers are a bit short, hence It is hard to avoid crowds in Québec City in summer time. The week before 7/19 features the yearly Summer Festival (July 3 to 13 this year). August is peppered with cruise ships passengers, more tourist buses than ever, and really - a lot of visiting people. This being said, it's not like Piazza San Marco in Venice. Or rather, as is the case with Venice, it's always possible and fairly easy to find yourself almost alone just by walking one or two streets on the side. There are quiet hidden gems for the one who is looking for it.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gaspe Peninsula Summer Timing

Thank You, Eirelover.

That makes sense, and for Quebec City I assumed it never gets uncrowded in summer (and if I went the week before the construction holiday I think I'd time it so I was in QC after the Summer Festival). This may be the horrendous winter by me talking, but the possibility of a horrid heatwave in Mid-July actually sounds like a positive right now (although I'd still bring layers just in case).

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
389 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gaspe Peninsula Summer Timing

For Forillon and Percé, the last 2 weeks of August are usually much more quiet than mid-july. Also, in the approximately 20 summers I spent in Percé, I don't think there was ever anything that could qualify as a horrid heatwave...

4. Re: Gaspe Peninsula Summer Timing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, April 10, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Gaspesie Region