We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a car needed in KC?

Inverness...
Level Contributor
17 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
Is a car needed in KC?

I'm going to be in KC for the Folk Alliance Conference the third week of Feb.

I'll be staying near the Crown Center. I'd like to be able to go to some of the recommended restaurants while I'm there. Is a car necessary? Or is it best to just find public transport to downtown from the airport (I arrive at night) and then use cabs to get around KC?

Sometimes a car turns out to be less expensive and provide flexibility while in other places it is just a hassle to park it and fight traffic in it. Where does KC fit in?

Thanks

Blue Springs...
Level Contributor
621 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a car needed in KC?

Traffic wise, KC can be a hassle. I find it easy, but I am from here and used to the one way streets and the traffic. Paralell (sp?)parking is a must on the street downtown and the plaza. Watch for certain times of no parking (like during rush hours) and two hour parking only, and paying the meter... yeah cars can be a hassle.

Parking at Crown Center is easy. They have underground parking and most stores/resturants/hotels will stamp your parking pass.

Public transport is good for short forays.

So is walking, in February maybe not so much. It gets cold and slushy.

A car maybe better just for that alone.

It reallly depends on how long you will be here. If you only plan to go short distance from your hotel, for a couple days, do without

If you are planning to roam around or stay more than that, I recommend a car.

KC does love its vehicles.

Public transport is not that well done. I've been to alot of places that do it better.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
Level Contributor
594 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a car needed in KC?

Car Rentals are expensive here. U can take a bus from the airport to downtown then walk or another bus to crown center. A car really isnt needed unless your going to suburbs. They even have a bus that will take u to oklahoma joes bbq

Liberty, Missouri
Level Contributor
121 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a car needed in KC?

Not sure where you are staying in Crown Center, but if it is one of the hotels, be sure to find out how much they charge to park. That can add $20 or more a day to the cost of the car. If you need a car for one day, you can rent one there, too.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
798 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a car needed in KC?

Crown Center has "The Link" interior walkway between the buildings as well and over to Union Station and then a separate walkway to the Freighthouse area with several great restaurants. Parking in Crown Center is free on the weekends as well.

When I lived there, they had Super Shuttle from the Airport to the hotels anywhere in the metro....

KCK
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a car needed in KC?

What restaurants are you looking at? That could make a big difference.

6. Re: Is a car needed in KC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 14, 2014