We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kansas City International Airport - rip-off prices

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kansas City International Airport - rip-off prices

This weekend, I departed from KCI airport. I was appalled by the prices charged by CNBC shops and the Paradies-operated food vendor near the departure gates for American Airlines.

For one granola bar, they charged $4! For this same bar, Trader Joe charges $1, and if you buy a box at Costco, they cost even less. So the KCI vendor is charging more than 400% of what it costs them. I call this a rip-off.

Similarly, they way overcharge for a bottle of water--far more than is charged at Washington National Airport.

Why does KCI management allow such rip-off prices? It makes me not want to fly in/out of KCI any more!

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kansas City International Airport - rip-off prices

I find most airports overcharge for basics.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kansas City International Airport - rip-off prices

Agreed. I'm not sure I've ever bought anything from an airport vendor that wasn't inflated 300-400%.

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kansas City International Airport - rip-off prices

Agree - all airports overcharge

North Carolina
Level Contributor
259 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kansas City International Airport - rip-off prices

It's not the airport. Each vendor is a separate concessionaire, able to set their own prices.

Don't like the price? Then don't buy there. They'll get a message.

What? You want or need something and can't go somewhere else to buy it? Then the airport vendors obviously must bring some value, and we shouldn't begrudge them for carging for that value added.

5. Re: Kansas City International Airport - rip-off prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, March 21, 2014
6. Re: Kansas City International Airport - rip-off prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 23, 2014