We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kansas City International Airport

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
1 post
102 reviews
Save Topic
Kansas City International Airport

Are there any plans to improve Kansas City International Airport? It was built for a different time and not for today's air travel reality.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kansas City International Airport

Here's a link to KCI news - no mention of anything pending.

www.flykci.com/NewsRoom/NewsRoom/361.htm

Kansas
Level Contributor
115 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kansas City International Airport

Actually, the city council transportation committee this spring gave a green light to continued planning for an Aviation Department study recommendation that would replace the exsisting KCI 3 terminals with a more tradtional single terminal concept. The new terminal (with supporting parking garage, etc) would be built where the current terminal A is located for $1.2 billion. Controversial of course. Committees are being formed. Public forums for input and discussion. There are many current and long time KCI users that love the convenience of the current "1970's" pre-security -- "drive to your gate" concept and design.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kansas City International Airport

There's nothing wrong with our airport.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kansas City International Airport

I do agree that KCI has a huge convenience factor made better once they added bathrooms inside the gates.

Kansas
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kansas City International Airport

My only complaint with KCI is the lack of breakfast places for early morning flights.

New Brighton
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kansas City International Airport

I had a short layover at KCI yesterday, flying Southwest into/out of terminal B. Maybe I missed something, and correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the available dining options were OUTSIDE of the security area, meaning that if I wanted to get a Whopper at BK and return to my departure gate, I would have to go through the security screening process all over again. I've never seen anything like that in my travels - most airports have everything inside the security area. It's really an issue and I will try to avoid KCI in the future.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
407 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kansas City International Airport

If you are out of town, you see...our airport is a dump!! No options inside security, except a couple of nasty food stands and a few bathrooms that are small and not cleaned very often. Even outside of security, there are not many options and even fewer that individuals can reach because of our three terminals, yes three we are not Schiphol, but we still have three very outdated terminals.

For those who live in this city, I am one, many feel the convenience is second to none, that is hard to argue, except for a few items. It is great if you are being dropped off, you are right there, close to ticketing, sky caps, and your gates. If you are getting off of the plane, yes you are pretty close to baggage claim. (Though I would say, are we this lazy here!?!?!?!) I have not been to many airports here or in other cities where I have said, oh my gosh, I had to walk so far that I almost passed out, if you do call the airline, they will drive you there.

Next, if you park, unless you can afford the $20, probably more, then you have to go to the economy lot, no different than many other cities. I just don't see the allure of this airport. Others believe if a new one is built it will become more inconvenient. Design has advanced since the original design of KCI, the things that we enjoy at KCI can be implemented into a new design. In the mean time we will stay with our dark and no services airport, continue to lose flights, to where we will now need to connect through more cities (how convenient is that?)

Kansas
Level Contributor
228 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kansas City International Airport

I get along fine with KCI, but I'm just leaving and returning, not laying-over.

For the locals, it is a snap to check in at the curb, grab a bite, then go into the secure area at the gate. Coming back, just as easy to grab your bags and go right out to the curb to be picked up.

I see the downside if you were stuck out there for hours, but the security seems pretty easy most of the time I've been through, because you are doing it just for your departure gate (or a couple adjacent gates).

Edited: 10:50 pm, January 28, 2014
kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kansas City International Airport

I think it is one of the easiest airports to travel to/from

10. Re: Kansas City International Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, February 09, 2015