We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring from of Kansas City

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
AZ
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Touring from of Kansas City

Flying to Kansas City for a wedding this summer. Will have a rental car and thinking about four days of touring Missouri. Not big city or party people, we like scenic drives with some history and outdoor activities thrown in. Can you give me a suggestion for a circle tour? It is always difficult to judge how much of an area you should attempt to see, if you have not been there before.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring from of Kansas City

Things are pretty spread out in the Kansas City area. It might be better to pick a hotel location and then do some day trips from there. You can start with Independence and visit the Truman Library and home, walk around the square and eat at one of the nice restaurants right there. I highly recommend Cafe Verona.

Your next trip could be to Powell Gardens, about 30 miles east of Independence (but no hotel in the immediate area). This is Kansas City's botanical gardens and you can spend a whole day there enjoying the grounds. Depending on when you go, they may have a special event usually on the weekend.

You should definitely check out the Arabia Steamboat Museum and the WWI Museum - Liberty Memorial right in Kansas City. There are also two great art museums - the Kemper and the Nelson Atkins. And a walk around Country Club Plaza with its Spanish architecture is a must. Some call it KC's "crown jewel."

You might enjoy a trip to St. Joseph, the starting point of the Pony Express and the death of Jesse James.

Weston, MO was the western-most settlement in the US until Texas became a state. It was a major jumping off point for the Oregon and Santa Fe trails. It's a cute little town with a vinyard, some great restaurants and interesting shops.

This should get you started. I'm sure there will be some other suggestions. All of these could be day trips from the KC-metro. If you want to make it a loop, I suggest you look into B&Bs.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,551 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring from of Kansas City

You might start your loop driving down Hiway 69 on the Kansas side, stoping to visit the Trading Post Museum in Pleasenton, and the Fort & National Cemetery in Fort Scott. Then continue down to the Oklahoma line and head east on historic old Route 66 through Kansas and on into Missouri.

The short stretch of Route 66 in Kansas has something cool just about every mile. Be sure to have a meal at Cafe on the Route which you may have seen on the Travel Channel. http://www.kansastravel.org/route66.htm

AZ
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring from of Kansas City

Thank you. You suggested several things I had not heard of. I'll look them up.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring from of Kansas City

Go check out Herman, MO and Weston, MO if you are into wineries. They are both nice drives and offer a lot of culture.

AZ
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring from of Kansas City

I have been looking at these ideas. There really is more to do in and around Kansas City than I realized. Also the Suggestion to Herman sounds nice because it sounds like if you hug the river, it would be scenic most of the way there.

6. Re: Touring from of Kansas City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:42 am, June 19, 2013