We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Country Club Plaza on St Patricks Day

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
213 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Country Club Plaza on St Patricks Day

My husband and I are coming to KC on March 17, staying at The Rafael Hotel, Country Club Plaza to celebrate our 30th wedding anniverary. We have heard horror stories about the masses of people and traffic on St Patricks Day around the Plaza. Is is really that bad? Any recommendations on streets to avoid

Thanks for your help

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Country Club Plaza on St Patricks Day

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary!

It is true that everything will be pretty crowded on St. Patrick's Day, especially since it's a Saturday and the weather has been incredible. I would avoid the Westport area as that has tended to be "ground zero" for partiers. I expect the Power & Light District will also be rocking.

You might think about a trip to Parkville or Weston to browse the downtown district and have a nice dinner. That should help you avoid the worst of the croweds. But keep in mind that Kansas City has one of the biggest St. Patrick's Day parades in the country, so people will definitely be out all over the place. Combine that with the warm weather and crowds are inevitable.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Country Club Plaza on St Patricks Day

The bad St Pat's traffic is around Westport and downtown. Westport is the next neighborhood north and downtown is far north. Avoid those areas and you should have no issues at the Plaza.

Iowa
Level Contributor
213 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Country Club Plaza on St Patricks Day

Thanks to both of you for your great advice. We plan to arrive at the Plaza during the parade. Hopefully The Rafael has its own parking and we'll enjoy the view of the crowds from our Plaza view window.

Any advice on the best route to get to the Plaza? We will be coming in from 35North.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Country Club Plaza on St Patricks Day

The Rafael is a great hotel and has a fabulous restaurant in Chaz that is in the hotel. You're also walking distance to anywhere in the Plaza. Don't worry about St. Patrick's Day crowds in that area. The majority will be in Westport and Waldo. Downtown will be crowded during the parade, but usually thins out in the late afternoon.

Iowa
Level Contributor
213 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Country Club Plaza on St Patricks Day

Thank you Devereaux412....that makes me feel a lot better. Does anyone still have suggestions for the best route through town coming from the north on I-35? We are thinking of The Paseo.

6. Re: Country Club Plaza on St Patricks Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:42 am, June 20, 2013