We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plaza Vs, Power&Light

Which Kansas City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Plaza Vs, Power&Light

Two guys in mid-late 30's coming to town in April on Fri and Sat night. Beer & burger/BBQ type guys rather than fancy dinners. Enjoy laid back atmosphere, live music(blues, country, rock, classic rock ..love acoustic), casual food in comfortable surroundings with a fun crowd. Also enjoy people watching, exploring different bars ( one or two drinks then try somewhere else if the vibe doesn't meet needs) Which venue do you think suits us best?

thanks so much for any advice!

bluesguy

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plaza Vs, Power&Light

Definitely Power and Light! Plaza is more families/upscale restaurants/shopping. There are bars/lounges there, too. But for a "compact" area of bars, lounges, and food you'll probably appreciate the P&L district.

Michelle

KCMO
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plaza Vs, Power&Light

I second the power and light.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plaza Vs, Power&Light

ok, 2 votes for power and light, thanks for advice!

Kansas
Level Contributor
445 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plaza Vs, Power&Light

Knuckleheads is definitely worth looking into. It fits the description of what you like. The venue is very unique. Always interesting and their grill serves surprisingly great food. The location is tricky to find if you are driving. As of last year, they ran a free shuttle (van) from the River Market- which has a few really interesting dining/shopping options. Harry's Country Club often has some very interesting/good acts in a small venue.

Power and Light is a zoned entertainment district and offers the most variety in a small area. Well worth a visit but I wouldn't spend two nights there. It will be certainly be hopping if March Madness is still going on and/or other events are booked.

You might also consider Brookside, if you want a variety of options in a real neighborhood.

For BBQ, try Oklahoma Joe's for the food or BBs Lawnside for BBQ and music- usually blues. Have fun!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
74 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plaza Vs, Power&Light

Actually, based on this portion of your post:

"Beer & burger/BBQ type guys rather than fancy dinners. Enjoy laid back atmosphere, live music(blues, country, rock, classic rock ..love acoustic), casual food in comfortable surroundings with a fun crowd. Also enjoy people watching,"

I'd say Westport may be a better fit than any of the other two. It's a little grittier, more small music venues, more diverse.

If you want a good feel for KC - you have two nights - check out all three areas.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plaza Vs, Power&Light

The Plaza and Power & Light only offer glimpses of Kansas City. If you like the downtown atmosphere, then Power & Light can be fun for nightlife. But, if you want local food, I would go to the Crossroads, River Market, Brookside, Westport and the Plaza. Power & Light has more chains and is geared for visitors. It lacks real local flavor.

For beer in the P&L, try Flying Saucer.

For BBQ, try Oklahoma Joe's, Danny Edwards, Jack Stack, LC's and Arthur Bryant's.

I second Westport if you're looking for local fare and local bar options. Westport also has a very hip scene and a variety of music and drinking options. Try the Foundry and McCoy's for great beer selections in Westport.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plaza Vs, Power&Light

shortysboy,

funny you mention Knuckleheads...that is exactly where we are going. Coming in to catch Carolyn Wonderland there. Thanks to all for your suggestions. I think we will stay at Power and Light. May be a bit touristy, but meets our needs. If we stay the second night allowing for more "free time" may try the westport area. again, really appreciate all the suggestions

bluesguy

8. Re: Plaza Vs, Power&Light

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, May 14, 2013