We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is the city.

Southaven...
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is the city.

I will be coming to the city for a business trip in mid November and wondering how safe the city will be for a young female.

What is also a nice restaurant to eat at while in town.

Urbandale, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is the city.

It would help if you told us where you will be staying.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is the city.

For a single female, one of the best areas would be the Country Club Plaza. As in any big city, walking around with a friend is always a better idea. But the Plaza is well-lit and you should be just fine. As always, exercise reasonable care.

Michelle

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is the city.

A few months ago, I would have agreed, but there have been recent problems in the Country Club Plaza from large groups of teens on the weekends. There was a gun battle with some teens shot near the mayor (who was checking on the problem) about 3 weeks ago.

They have started imposing a curfew and I think they have it under control now, but I'm not in a hurry to go there in the evenings.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Kansas City
Level Contributor
583 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is the city.

Those violent flash mobs like on the plaza are happening in every major city. Milwaukee had a similar incident happen at the Wisconsin State Fair, similar things have happened in Philly, Chicago, St Paul, and DC Area

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is the city.

A few people suggested that a flash-mob might have had something to do with those problems, but that didn't seem to be the prevailing opinion.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is the city.

I agree that violent flash mobs seem to be the new "thing" and are very, very random. I would not avoid the Plaza - I've been there dozens of times over the past 17 years and it's a very friendly atmosphere with lots of families and couples enjoying the shopping and dining day and night.

Michelle

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,518 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is the city.

Michelle...the problem was that parents were dropping off their teens who were creating havoc, and that wasn't the same thing as a flash mob. (at least that was according to the report in the KC paper)

Now that school is back in session and the law enforcement and city have been working with the issue, I am sure it isn't going to continue. I would still stay on the Plaza without hestitation but as with any location when we travel, it is wise to just be aware of our surroundings and take precautions so we have an enjoyable experience.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is the city.

That's good "common sense" advice for anyone, anywhere!

Michelle

Southaven...
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe is the city.

I am very sorry I forgot to mention the hotel. It is Hampton Inn Kansas City Liberty. As it turns out there will be 3 of us staying there.

I want to thank everyone for their help.

Any good restaurants we should visit?

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe is the city.

If you are staying in Liberty, you are really away from the city area and will need to drive to a restaurant/shopping area. There is one restaurant in Smithville, Justus Drugstore, that I would highly recommend. You will need reservations for dining inside, but they also have a patio with a limited but interesting menu. Sometimes you can also get inside bar seating, which would be a fun setting. They make their own everything, including condiments, and all the food is as local as possible. Best Sangria I ever had!

www.drugstorerestaurant.com/justus.php?id=1

Be sure to call to make sure they are open.

Michelle