We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Country Club Plaza or Crown Center?

Troy
1 post
Save Topic
Country Club Plaza or Crown Center?

Which would be the better place to stay to do a little shopping and to visit the Arabia Steamboat Museum? Planning a trip for the end of August or early September. Just my husband and myself.

Kansas City
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Country Club Plaza or Crown Center?

As a near life-long resident of the great Kansas City area, (Yes, I love this metro area and all it has to offer), I would suggest Crown Center for several reasons. The first being you never know what the weather will bring, and if it happens to be disagreeable, you would still have an indoor "playland" to enjoy. Crown Center's complex offers something for everyone from live theatre to Hallmark Cards visitors' center. It is an exciting structure with the over-the-streets glass walkways, historical Union Station (w/ its own activities and Imax) across the street, Memorial park next door, etc. It also puts you much closer to the Steamboat Arabia Museum which, by the way, I visited for the first time yesterday with my son and was absolutely amazed. It includes a video presentation and introduction to the museum by one of the team members that actually dug it all up! You'll be glad you made the opportunity to go. I had passed it up several times before because I never realized all there was to see. Be sure to sample the perfume re-makes of the "1856" fragrances. I was pleasantly surprised!

The Plaza is terrific, and in fact, I litterally grew up on the Plaza. It was my backyard as a child. I am passionate about it

yet would recommend it as a second choice. It will involve a lot of outdoor walking. There are guided tours though, because there is so much to see and discover. The fountains are unmatched by any other city in the USA, thus the nick-name "City of Fountains", and it is all very, very beautiful. There are horse drawn carraiges that are great at night for visitors to enjoy weather permitting. The restaurants are all fabulous, shopping is wonderful. It is not to be missed if you visit, but it wouldn't be my first choice for the Steamboat experience. If you visit Kansas City and fail to visit the Plaza, you've missed one of the best experiences this City has to offer.

Enjoy our beautiful city!

Kansas City
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Country Club Plaza or Crown Center?

As a near life-long resident of the great Kansas City area, (Yes, I love this metro area and all it has to offer), I would suggest Crown Center for several reasons. The first being you never know what the weather will bring, and if it happens to be disagreeable, you would still have an indoor "playland" to enjoy. Crown Center's complex offers something for everyone from live theatre to Hallmark Cards visitors' center. It is an exciting structure with the over-the-streets glass walkways, historical Union Station (w/ its own activities and Imax) across the street, Memorial park next door, etc. It also puts you much closer to the Steamboat Arabia Museum which, by the way, I visited for the first time yesterday with my son and was absolutely amazed. It includes a video presentation and introduction to the museum by one of the team members that actually dug it all up! You'll be glad you made the opportunity to go. I had passed it up several times before because I never realized all there was to see. Be sure to sample the perfume re-makes of the "1856" fragrances. I was pleasantly surprised!

The Plaza is terrific, and in fact, I litterally grew up on the Plaza. It was my backyard as a child. I am passionate about it

yet would recommend it as a second choice. It will involve a lot of outdoor walking. There are guided tours though, because there is so much to see and discover. The fountains are unmatched by any other city in the USA, thus the nick-name "City of Fountains", and it is all very, very beautiful. There are horse drawn carraiges that are great at night for visitors to enjoy weather permitting. The restaurants are all fabulous, shopping is wonderful. It is not to be missed if you visit, but it wouldn't be my first choice for the Steamboat experience. If you visit Kansas City and fail to visit the Plaza, you've missed one of the best experiences this City has to offer.

Enjoy our beautiful city!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
416 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Country Club Plaza or Crown Center?

If you plan on staying in the Crown Center Westin, here are a couple helpful links. All these attractions are within steps from the Westin hotel:

http://www.unionstation.org

http://www.libertymemorialmuseum.org

http://www.crowncenter.com/

Crown Center and the Plaza are relatively close to one another, just a quick 10 minute drive by car. No matter which you choose, I'm sure you will be pleased.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Country Club Plaza or Crown Center?

If you like history and sight-seeing, you might consider a tour of the Battle of Westport battleground (which is now a beautiful residential area), with a start in Westport (just north of the Plaza) and moving south, following the tour markers.

If you go to the Arabia, which is very interesting, you might want to go on a Saturday and enjoy the City Market activities just outside. These include farmers' produce stands and other vendors.

If your "early September" includes the first Friday of the month, that would be a "First Friday" in the Crossroads Art District, just north of Crown Center. First Fridays occur in the evening, when people walk between the various galleries and restaurants in this area and a street festival atmosphere prevails.

I believe the Irish Festival is also in Crown Center that weekend. There will be a lot of other things to do that weekend.

I hope you enjoy your visit to this beautiful city.