We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spook Light

Which Joplin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
FL
2 posts
Save Topic
Spook Light

Does anyone know anything about the Spook Light and where it is? I visited it as a child and am curious if it is still around.

Dallas,TX
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spook Light

Yes it is still around. It is located a little outside of Quapaw, OK which is about a 25 min drive from Joplin. If you go to Quapaw and stop at the convient store (there is only one, maybe two) and ask them, they will give you directions to Spooklight Road.

FL
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Spook Light

i need help! i am doing a reserch project in science and i need to find out about Spook Lighting, like some basic facts about it a paragraph or two. so if anyone could please help me on that that would me great!

USA/INDIA
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spook Light

Yes, contact the Department of Paranormal at Princeton University. I grew up in Quapaw and saw that light as long as I can remember (I'm 47 now). I always knew it was real but was very confused about it. After meeting the people from Princeton I understood it a bit better but have to admit I'm still somewhat "spooked" by the spooklight. That said, I'm taking my husband and son to see it for the first time next weekend!

springfield missouri
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spook Light

I am in Joplin and yes the infamous "spook light" is still around. It is located on the Missouri/Oklahoma state line. It is located more in MO than Oklahoma.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spook Light

It is also in SE Kansas.

Not to mention near Radiator Springs:-)

Minnesota
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spook Light

Keep in mind a few things. Over the last hundred years, these lights (sometimes there's one, but other times there are several at the same time), have gradualy migrated, from more central Oklahoma, to the point now, where they are most often seen right next to the border with Missouri. My son and I were staying at the Drury Inn in Joplin, and LUCKY to have been witness to this mind blowing phenomenon. I recall clearly the moment I first saw "them", this feeling of, "no way.. am I really SEEING THIS?! Yhis cannot be happening! I'd never seen anything like that in my life, and if I never do again, I'll never forget the experience if I live to a hundred. I highly reccomend it, especially to doubters. Bring a digital camera.. be patient, be silent, and I hear you have a one in five chance of an unforgetting memory.

7. Re: Spook Light

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, September 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Joplin