We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U.S. State Dept travel warnings for Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
C H
El Paso County...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
U.S. State Dept travel warnings for Mexico

The U.S. State Dept has issued new travel warnings for much of Mexico. I am seeking feedback/advice from travelers who have recently visited Troncones. Did you feel safe? What, if any, safety precautions did you take? Did you take any precautions around town or to/from the airport? Our family is planning a vacation there in March and beginning to wonder if it's safe. Thanks!!

usa
Level Contributor
71 posts
85 reviews
88 helpful votes
1. Re: U.S. State Dept travel warnings for Mexico

We were in Troncones in Jan with family ages 3-70+ with no problems or concerns, never felt unsafe. We walked the main road paralleling the beach until 9:30 pm (i.e. after dark) as a group. Restaurants will call you a taxi to take you home if you are concerned at night. Spent several hours eveyday on the beach with not too many people around. Since we were in the water and away from our rooms, we took minimal belongings to the beach as precaution. Take the airport taxi to Troncones and have your hotel arrange the return (local) taxi - no problems, safe highway. Our precautions are pretty much the same for travel anywhere - no flashy expensive accessories, don't carry extra cash when not needed. Relax and enjoy!

Seattle
Level Contributor
69 posts
36 reviews
22 helpful votes
2. Re: U.S. State Dept travel warnings for Mexico

Sorry I am just responding. We will be there in March as well. The warnings have been in place for quite some time. We feel completely safe in Troncones and the region We walk the beaches and roads of Troncones at night with no fears. We drive up and down the coast - south as far as La Chole to see the archaeological site and north to Saladita. We go a few times a year, and have been doing that, and feel very comfortable. We don't drive at night (other than the beach road in Troncones) and that's about the only "precaution" we take (and advise). Have a great trip!

Plainfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: U.S. State Dept travel warnings for Mexico

Our family was there in February and we are going again in April. Never felt unsafe. There are very few people overall in the Troncones so I would imagine trouble would look elsewhere. The main highway to and from the airport seems safe as well but like most are saying stay away at night if it can be prevented. I feel the same way here in Chicago.

4. Re: U.S. State Dept travel warnings for Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, March 28, 2017