We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety concerns in Sayulita?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
san francisco
Level Contributor
67 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Safety concerns in Sayulita?

We have rented a vacation rental and will be in Sayulita in a few days. However after reading all of the news about recent escalating violence and death tolls in various parts of Mexico, I am getting more and more concerned about safety during our trip. Is this a matter for serious concern in Sayulita? Do the locals/vacationers take any safety precautions? Please let me know so I can be prepared!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety concerns in Sayulita?

"Escalating violence"? Actually it's down about 20% on last year. Anyway, it is not targeted against tourists nor is it an issue in Sayulita. Break-ins/robberies are much more of a concern although still rare occurrences.

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety concerns in Sayulita?

In Sayulita, it really is break-ins that you need to be aware of. Just because you're in paradise, don't let your guard down. Lock the property when you leave and when you're in bed. Don't bring with you anything more than you need to. Don't flash your money and credit cards. Sayulita is a terrifically safe village. You just need to keep your wits about you.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety concerns in Sayulita?

I agree that you need to be smart as you travel - no matter where you are - that goes for good ol' USA as well and take the typical precautions. However, I felt extremely safe in Sayulita - I would have no concerns about traveling there and walking around, etc. Great town - can't wait to go back! :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety concerns in Sayulita?

When my girlfriend and I went to Sayulita for a week, we felt very safe. If there were to be violent crime, I would think it would have happened during our time there since it was off-season and everyone was feeling the effects of low tourism. But, everyone seemed to take it in strides and were very chill. We stayed on gringo hill and it seemed very safe there as well. We were very careful to keep the door locked, leave valuables in the safe and carry some cash but not all of it. We also made sure to leave a generous tip for the maid. Lastly, we never dressed flashy or with bling-y jewelry. You wouldn't really fit in to Sayulita with lots of flash and bling anyway.

There were only a few times I felt mildly threatened in Sayulita (and that's probably because I'm a big wimp) - first time, we walked by a stray dog that seemed pretty hungry...nothing resulted from that...second time, the first night of thunder storms...only weird dreams and poor sleep resulted from that...and lastly, when snorkeling I felt like the fish were starting to circle a bit too close to me and I felt mildly threatened.

Sayulita is safe and fun!

Puerto Vallarta...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety concerns in Sayulita?

Hello. I've been living in Puerto Vallarta for a month and a week. I tried to get accustomed to the people and places here. Just like you, sorry to say it so bluntly, I am also a bit obsessed about safety. I must start by saying that it's really no use worrying about the violence you see on TV. I haven't seen violence. Checking the mass media here, it looks dangerous, with many dead bodies - but you do have to realize that no tourists are among those bodies. I did a pretty thorough Internet research and talked to as many people around here as I could and there is really nothing to worry about. But by this I only mean - your life is no more in danger here than in most other places in the world.

Don't do like I did, however. We assumed a beach was empty, left our things under the tree, went into the water, came back - no more camera or phones.

It would have happened the same in my country, so... Yes - don't flash your belongings around, even when you're alone. Cause you might be not. Wherever there are people in need, you need to be cautious - that's the way things usually go.

Have a great vacation... And relax, it's a beautiful place with beautiful people! Do tell us how it was, I am curious. Maybe someone offered you our Canon camera :))

Three Rivers...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety concerns in Sayulita?

We've been in Sayulita since Aug 13 and it is very safe. Army is occasionally present to preserve tourist trade. Don't travel inland.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety concerns in Sayulita?

Just a note re: post 6 We travel inland all the time. We also drive back and forth to the border. We feel perfectly safe doing what we would do in any country, exercising the same degree of caution and common sense (along the same lines as mentioned above).

Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 2:53 pm, August 18, 2012
Three Rivers...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety concerns in Sayulita?

Glad you posted this. I think it's just like any other country. Just be sensible. People here are very friendly.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety concerns in Sayulita?

We just returned from Sayulita. Felt safe the entire time. Only thing was our flipflops were stolen off the porach during the night. So, I think it is safe for humans, no so for flipflops. lol

10. Re: Safety concerns in Sayulita?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Sayulita