We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noisy town????

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Sayulita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Noisy town????

Hello,

We're thinking of renting a place in Sayulita for the Christmas Holidays, I've been looking on VRBO and a lot of the reviews say that Sayulita can be noisy at night depending on the zoning....as I am not familiar with the town, is there a part of town that is quieter? Higher up in the mountains?

Thank you for your comments

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Noisy town????

Sayulita is a Mexican town, and as such there are sometimes occasions where you will find noise. Noise bylaws are generally non-existent or if they do exist, they are not often enforced.

When looking for a rental you should ask the owner if the place will be noisy at night. This would probably be the case for many places in the downtown core. I find the north end to be quieter, and the south can be quieter as well, but there seem to be more roosters out there. (my opinion, the south is a little noisier than the north end, although many friends stay there all the time they visit).

Having said that, there was a wedding one night in the north end when we visited last, and the music went on until about 4am. This was the only night that was noisy during our stay. In places like Los Delfines, Hamacas, or Gemalas, the noise you hear at night are the sounds of ocean waves and crickets. Los Almendros is also a quiet retreat. I've found Villa Amor to be noisier sometimes, although you do hear waves, there is sometimes noise from the beach or downtown. Open air units are noisier than the ones closed in.

It really depends on how sensitive you are to noise. If you run a ceiling fan on high or AC at night on low, that often can create a "white noise" which drowns out most outdoor noise. Some houses do not have windows and feature an open air concept, these can be noisier as there is nothing keeping noise out. Sometimes there can be construction in town as well, starting early in the morning. So no matter how hard you try to find a quiet spot, sometimes you get unlucky. Don't let what I'm saying scare you, I've visited a year of my life in the town in various locations and at various times of the year, if you follow my advice above, I don't think you will have an issue with noise. Have a great time.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Noisy town????

Thank you for taking the time to write to me...

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Noisy town????

To be honest, we try to avoid staying non AI in very busy towns both at Xmas-New Years or at Easter. Those are the two busiest weeks at Mexicans resorts, unsurprising, and the cities/towns and beaches are full to the point of bursting. To me, this is not enjoyable...you might be very different types of people, mind you, and love crowds and noise, we just don't. :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Noisy town????

We were there in early March, staying in the north area at Hotelito Los Suenos - it was very quiet, no matter how loud it was in town. Lovely! :)

Sayulita
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Noisy town????

There is one nightclub, the Buddha Mar, that is the egregious offender. They play horrible, loud techno music every night until the early hours of the morning. On the south side of the town it is impossible to sleep. I'm told that the north side is quieter, but have no personal experience. I would advise anyone to stay away.

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
597 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Noisy town????

Stay away? I hope you mean "stay away from the south end" since that's where you said you had a problem. Sayulita is full of wonderful, peaceful rental properties at all price ranges. From my house (not in the north end) I can't hear anything at all from the village centre, and we're just about 3 minutes' walk from there. I don't like the music from Buddha Mar either but please don't advise people to stay away from Sayulita just because of one bar affecting a small part of the village.

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Noisy town????

There are plenty of houses/accommodations labeled as "southside" but they're far from the offending bar and very peaceful. I think a visitor's best solution is to inquire as to distance from the bar and if it can be heard at night. This reminds me of my early days in Vallarta many years ago. I lived in the heart of Old Town just a stone's throw from the beach, it was a wonderful location with easy access to lots of shops and restaurants but there's a well-known bar/restaurant that would be open until 4 in the morning playing loud dance music. I always just figured that some noisy nights were the price you paid for wanting to be right in the thick of things.

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
597 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Noisy town????

Very true, SayulitaPita. I did what I said shouldn't be done, which is to tar an entire town or area with the same brush. There are many, many homes and rental properties on the south side which don't get any noise at all from the bars on and near the plaza. When booking, ask the owner or property manager if there is noise from the bars. If they are honest, they will answer honestly. If not, then they risk censure and bad reviews in places such as tripadvisor.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Noisy town????

Check out Casa jacobo on the south side about a 5 minute walk to the beach. We have stayed there many times and never had a noise problem.

10. Re: Noisy town????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:42 pm, June 22, 2013