We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chica Locca-Great catamaran experience!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Sayulita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
minnesota
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chica Locca-Great catamaran experience!

If you are traveling to sayulita, Book this excursion! The boat itself is very comfortable, plenty big and never too packed, they try to keep it around 40 passengers max and the boat holds 60. The staff goes way out of their way for you, and they create a very cool vibe.It's only about $70 us a person for 6hrs, full open bar with good liquor, 2 good meals, a kayak, fishing, snorkling,whale watching and an awsome time. The name of the compay is RIVIERA NAYARIT TOURS,the name of the boat is the Chica locca. They have an office right underneath calypso resturaunt in sayulita. Ask for melissa or Isreal, they speak great english and are very friendly!

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chica Locca-Great catamaran experience!

For snorkeling or whale-watching a low-key option is to take a panga out of Punta de Mita. You can get your own private panga for $130 USD for the boat (not per person), it's not an all day affair, nor do they provide food, but you're welcome to bring your own and it's a lot of fun.

Scottsdale, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Chica Locca-Great catamaran experience!

the chica loca boat is way over priced for what you get .

it is not a luxary boat !!! it has no sails ! it is a platform with engines. if you want to go that way i agree take a boat out of punta de mita. alot less expencive and faster way to get to the islands!

or all the boats from vallarta ( the same kind of party boat with loud music ) cost 30 dollars a person.. chica loca is way over price !

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chica Locca-Great catamaran experience!

I agree with this post, this is an excellent adventure and worth every penny. They cater to your every need and genuinely care about you. They provide everything and the experience is amazing! There are cushions to lay on instead of chairs, very comfortable, plenty of room, you could have the whole side of the boat to yourselves. So fun! We saw over 300 dolphins and went to a private beach through a cave,,,if you are in Sayulita, this is a MUST!!

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Chica Locca-Great catamaran experience!

I disagree with this post ! My family and i were in sayulita for spring break in early april. we wanted to do a fun boat trip with our kids.

This boat trip is NOT for kids! alot of drinking, loud music and the captain on a micophone, not a trip i would ever do again. i would say this is a great trip for kids ages 18 to 25 if they just want to drink !

Acually the boat ride was very boring till everybody got drunk then there were some people pole dancing.

NOT A GOOD TRIP !

Riverton, Utah
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chica Locca-Great catamaran experience!

We had a great time on this excursion. No worries about empty glasses; the guys on the boat keep your drinks full the whole time. Had a great time.

Sayulita, Mexico
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Chica Locca-Great catamaran experience!

We went on the "chicca locca" and we were disappointed. We didn't see any dolphins or turtles or whales... we were told they "always" see dolphins. The music was very explicit and the speakers sounded crackled. The staff was nice but all in all it was a "b" team adventure. We felt like a waste of time and money. The taxi ride to & from Sayulita was just as bad. Not only did they van's air conditioning not work the driver stopped for gas on they way back. There is no gas station in Sayulita so understandable that they fill tanks for later use but in a hot van full of people smelling gas cans that are loaded in the back was not a good experience. I suggest looking into other options for a $75/ person adventure.

minnesota
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chica Locca-Great catamaran experience!

I don't know how anyone can blame the boat operators for not seeing dolphins or turtles....they don't have a contract with the fish to show up at a certain time....

When we went on this boat trip, there was no blaring loud music, and while they did serve good alcoholic drinks throughout, it certainly was nothing of a booze cruise, it was very relaxed.some people drank more than others, but to each their own.I sometimes wonder if the competition to this boat posts negative things to help their business.I see a lot of negative feedback on here from people with only one post..At the end of the day, I'm sure the boat will not be as pleasing to everyone as it was for us, but I can assure anyone that is considering this trip that we had a great experience, and as long as you are somewhat easy going, you will enjoy your trip!

Sayulita
Destination Expert
for Sayulita
Level Contributor
603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chica Locca-Great catamaran experience!

I agree that you can't blame boat operators for not seeing dolphins or turtles...unless of course they say we "always" see dolphins & turtles. I don't find reviews by people with just one post to be suspect at all, whenever people feel strongly, either negatively or positively, they're more apt to tell the world of their experience. If you're going to imply that the bad comments are written by competition then the flipside of that argument would be that good comments are written by the owners and their friends. While the accuracy of forum posts is not controlled by Tripadvisor, the reviews posted under a specific acitivity/resort/restaurant listing are subject to scrutiny for fraud detection with heavy consequences for the owner if they submit fraudulent positive reviews of their own business which is why the reviews are so highly trusted by travelers. Travelers often post reviews on the forum because the establishment doesn't have a formal TripAdvisor listing to attach their review to. Maybe it's best to take all forum placed reviews w/ a grain of salt and stick to the highly rated establishments with actual tripadvisor listings...

denver
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Chica Locca-Great catamaran experience!

My family and I did this trip in June and while they enjoyed it, I was a bit disappointed. The main problem is that the snorkeling is really only appropriate for strong swimmers. You anchor quite a distance from the cave area, and it can be a struggle to get to where you are going, especially if you are responsible for children (thank goodness they give life vests). Once you approach the cave, if the water is rough or choppy, it is a little scary, as you are supposed to swim through a cave that is like an arch, except that the water can be just a foot or so from the ceiling of the arch. With the choppy water making waves that splashed up to the roof of the arch, I couldn't deal with the idea of swimming through there and getting slammed up into the ceiling of the cave, because I couldn't see how far I had to go til I could come up clear on the other side. Speaking of seeing, I couldn't. I wear glasses, and stupidly made the assumption that they would have prescription gogles, as every time I have snorkeled in Hawaii they have some available. So I was tired from swimming to the cave, freaked out by the low clearance of the cave, and to top it all off, I couldn't see well enough to evaluate how the choppy water was in relation to the rocks / cave I was nearing. (I was on my own, because I had been slow getting ready to go and missed going with the group - I was trying to catch up. The owner was waiting for me in the cave, but I couldn't see that). Once through the cave, my kids and dh thought it was cool, but the fish weren't as great as what we have become accustomed to in Hawaii. Overall, the swimming part was stressful for me and my husband, and I ended up turning back from the cave.

It is low season, so the boat wasn't packed (in fact, it took weeks for our tour to finally go, because there weren't enough people, or the weather interfered). But they pour drinks liberally and one 14 y.o. puked and passed out on the way home. I did really like the owner and his family, who were on the boat, and the food was awesome. The music on the way back was sooo annoying because they played 30 second snippets of 80's music, which would have been fun to listen to, but not at that frenetic, partial pace. They did provide two opportunities to jump off the boat and swim in the ocean, which my family LOVED. It was expensive, and not worth my money, but it was worth it for the family, so I ended up happy.

everywhere
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Chica Locca-Great catamaran experience!

I had an incredible time, the crew made me feel like family, I was not harassed into going they were very low key which is always nice and I was able to make up my own mind about whether or not I wanted to partake in this trip which I obviously did. You for certain get your monies worth they serve food from Rubens deli which is insanely delicious they are generous with the alcohol (never had an empty glass) and they are very pleasant to chat with. People did drink but everyone behaved and there was nothing vulgar or alarming about the consumption. We got to go snorkeling, swimming, they had kayaks, we saw dolphins we met a lot of great people had great conversation with Guy, Gill his mother and his soon to be wife and for the duration of our trip in Sayulita we had friends and from both the crew and the other guests. WORTH EVERY PENNY! I mean honestly it was about 65 US dollars (during low season) and it is easy to spend that at a crappy bar in one night. Here you get food, music, people, the sea and endless drinks really think about it!