We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

would it be right for us? without car hire

Bolton le Sands
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
would it be right for us? without car hire

4 of us (2 married couples ,all retired) are considering a visit to salema using public transport.

we can get budget flights to Faro and then a reasonably priced minicab from the airport to Salema. We do not want to hire a car during our stay. we enjoy walking,countryside, natural history, good food, good wine. Would public transport be sufficient for our needs?

Also, when would be the best time to go for good temperatures but not too hot!

many thanks

Joyce bond

The Way Tours - Day Tours
Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Boat Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
Musette
Gear Rentals, Bike Tours
Vibel Taxis
Taxis & Shuttles
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,493 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: would it be right for us? without car hire

There are few buses at Salema. Some stop only at the on the main road at the crossroads, a little over a mile from the village itself.

Please see this page of mine for details.

thomasallen.home.sapo.pt/travel/012.htm

I cannot vouch 100% for the timetable as I haven't been over that way for a while but it hasn't changed much over the years.

It's cheap - the fare to Sagres is only €2,25 and Lagos €2,45

If you don't want too hot avoid July, August and the first two or three weeks of September. A good time to visit would be June. Average temperatures will be in the 70's and it is usually fairly dry. That end of the Algarve does a get a bit windy from time to time.

I hope that helps.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: would it be right for us? without car hire

Bear in mind that Salema is located by the sea at the end a long narrow valley. Walking out of there in all but the winter season will require a substantial effort.

Depending on the time of year you may find it more economical to hire a cheap car for a week,

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,493 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: would it be right for us? without car hire

Yes, I should have said that the hill from Salema up to the main road is quite steep.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: would it be right for us? without car hire

Salema is a fantasic little village, with some great restaraunts, a couple of snack bars, and about 6 bars and a small hotel. It is also great for walking, you can walk West into Sagres in approximately 4 to 5 hours, then return by public transport, or East into Lagos roughly the same distance and once again return by bus. The only problem with not having a car is the nearest proper supermarket is in Budens village, around a ten minute drive away, there is a small supermarket in the village which stocks essentials, also the bread van is open from 09:00 till 11:00 daily except Sunday (the lady who runs this can be very miserable, but I find her quite amusing).

You can aslo take the local bus to the supermarket, it runs every couple of hours or so, or else walk there, it's not too far maybe 40 minutes, the only problem is carrying things back, although once again you could take the bus, or the local taxi which i'm sure would not cost too much.

Hope this is of help to you Rob.

Edited: 9:04 am, February 03, 2011
5. Re: would it be right for us? without car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, February 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Salema