We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Incredible Experience at CREA-Langues

Naperville...
3 posts
Save Topic
Incredible Experience at CREA-Langues

In a lovingly restored and tastefully and gorgeously decorated monastery in Provence,

a region which seems to have been kissed by God, I lost myself in the beauty of the language,

the culture, and the nature for two weeks (July 23-Aug. 5, 2012).

One perfect weather day followed another - sunny and warm enough for a swim in the pool or lake,

but not humid, cool in the shade and in the evenings.

Here one can almost see and taste the sun in the locally grown ripe tomatoes.

The meals are prepared and appreciated with wine and conversations in a manner such

as I had never experienced anywhere but the most intimate family gatherings.

The kitchen staff seems to work miracles day after day.

With the understanding and encouragement of the experienced teachers, the challenge of immersion

was not only manageable but enjoyable. The flexibility and breaks in the schedule allowed me now and then

to retreat into a chapel where my beginner flute playing was transformed into a

festival of echoing notes. One can enjoy an afternoon at the pool or simply sit

in a quiet corner anywhere in the surrounding which looks like a piece of paradise in its natural beauty.

The activities included hiking, canoeing, sailing, study of herbs growing around the monastery

of which there are many, visits of l'Occitane cosmetics factory, day or night outings into local towns,

presentations on truffles and local wines, hands-on cooking class, and a visit and fascinating talk

by a well known author.

Each activity was preceded by a preparation session which equipped the participants

with vocabulary and background information to help them get the most out of the experience.

I was able to take advantage of a few from

the offerings while also taking additional classes in some of the afternoons. I believe I got to know

the region much better than would have been possible as a tourist.

The age, the language proficiency level, the background of the participants were varied and diverse.

The positive atmosphere, the common goal, perhaps the diversity itself, combined with the

hospitality of the hosts, Annemarie and Dhruv, and the teachers and the staff all contributed

to the spirit of fun, respect, and cooperation.

I am definitely more comfortable speaking the language after the program,

although obviously 2 weeks of immersion cannot and will not

transform somebody with a halting French into a fluent speaker. I feel, however, that I have taken

a very solid first step in the right direction on a fascinating journey.

It has been, without any doubt, the very best vacation I have had, and I hope to return in the near future.

Y. Kim

2 replies to this topic
Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Incredible Experience at CREA-Langues

Interesting review and you traveled with your flute?

Naperville...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Incredible Experience at CREA-Langues

Yes, it's small enough for me to stick in my big sac/carry-on and I took a few pages of music (copies not the books). Playing the flute was a perfect break for me after a whole morning of class and a lunch (with wine) fumbling all over the place with errant conjugations and limited vocabulary :-) I was glad that I had it with me. They even have music stands in the chapel.

Reply to: Incredible Experience at CREA-Langues
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Moustiers Sainte-Marie