We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

Louisiana
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay

We are planning a vacation in the summer. We are planning on visiting Silver Dollar City because our 2 teenagers love theme parks but they also love to shop at outlet malls. Any suggestions where to stay? Is there a main street that everyone walks down and shops?

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
780 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay

If we know what price range you want, will be easier to recommend hotels. Just remember that hotel rates in Branson are more reasonable than most touristry areas.

Most theatres, hotels and attractions are located on the 76 Strip. The Tanger outlet mall is 'just off The Strip, and the Camden Inn is within walking distance, but you will have quite a hill to climb when returning to the Camden! We have stayed in This hotel many times, it is very ckean, and the room rate will probably be less than $100/night. They offer a decent free breakfast and an evening snack of hot cobblers, ice cream, fresh baked cookies.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay

I also looked at Still Waters Resort. I like that we can canoe and go on bike trails, However, I don't know how far out this place really is from the strip. Our kids are 12 & 13( a boy and a girl). They love to shop but I think canoeing and biking are great ideas for family time. Price is not a big issue. The Camden sounds like a nice place if it is near the mall and strip. About how far are these places from Silver Dollar City? We vacation a lot in Gatlinburg Tn. and we love being down town close to restaurants and shopping. Brandson seems similar? Any other ideas? Thank you so much for your time and travel advise!

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
780 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay

Still Waters is not close to the Strip--- in fact, it is probably 4. - 6 miles away. Still Waters is on the same road as Silver Dollar City--- it is 'beyond' The City. It is a nice resort, but if you want to be able to walk to shopping and Strip activities, you don 't want to stay at Stillwaters! The Camden Inn and Tanger are approximately 4 miles from The City. If you are in Branson during 'heavy traffic time' it can take upwards of 60 minutes to get from The Strip to The City---summer weekends are especially bad! Just allow plenty of time and expect heavy traffic if you plan to go to the City around 'opening times'. Another nice hotel 'on the Strip' is Lodge of the Ozarks. It has recently been renovated and is close to mini golf, go cart tracks, restaurants , several shows,

shopping,

Are you aware of the 2 days for the price of one day tickets for Silver Dollar City? Most hotels sell these tickets. The Whitewater water park is close to Lodge of the Ozarks and you can purchase combo tickets for Silver Dollar City and Whitewater parks.

You mentioned hiking--- visit the Visitor's Center at Tablerock Dam and ask for handout that will tell you where several hiking trails can be found in the area. One of the trails leads to a fire lookout tower that you can climb.

There is a company in downtown Branson that will take your family on a guided canoe/kyak trip on Lake Taneycomo .

If you want an upscale resort, check out Big Cedar. Very nice and they have lots of activities. But it is several miles outside of Branson, probably further than you are wanting. Another neat place for outdoor activites like hiking, bike riding, segway riding is Dogwood Canyon. Also several miles outside of Branson, but is a beautiful property. Admisdion is rather pricey . These are just some more options for you to check out; we are frequent visitors to Branson--- will be glad to try and answer any questions you might have.

It has been several years since we have been to Pigeon Ford/Gatlinburg area. From what I remember, they have more and nicer tourist stores than Branson does. The Branson Strip is a 2 lane road , but there are 'back roads that make it easy to get around. They are the Yellow, Red, and Blue Routes and all hotels and restaurants have free maps--- get one and familiarize yourselves with them !

Edited: 11:19 pm, March 24, 2014
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
902 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay

We will be staying in a 2 bedroom condo next month and in July. We've stayed at several but these times we are staying at Thousand Hills located just a block off highway 76. Very reasonable costs especially since we can have meals in the condo rather than eating out. I like the extra room rather than just a hotel room. We rented ours through HoneAway.com, similar to VRBO.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay

I'm staying at the Welk resort. I will mainly be seeing shows. Is the resort too far off the strip ? Lots of traffic in mid May?

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
780 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay

We stay right across the road from the Welk Resort and we are 3 miles from the Strip. Traffic is 'usually' not that bad on 165, but you can get in a long line of traffic at times. When that happens (if we are headed to the Strip) we usually get off of 165 onto Fall creek Road and continue on...... Very rarely is the traffic heavy going from the Strip towards the Welk Resort.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay

What time should I plan dinner if I want to see a 7:30 show?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay

Is there a lot of traffic from Branson Landing to the strip?

missouri
Destination Expert
for Branson
Level Contributor
780 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay

I would plan to be at the restaurant by 5 pm---should then have enough time to eat and make it to a show. Unless you are planning to eat at Red Lobster---by 5 they will probably already have a waiting list. If you like barbecue,, Dannas will be 'on your way' from Welk to the Strip, and they have very good food. Burgers, barbecue, tenderloin sandwiches, wonderful catfish. You can also turn right on Green Mountain Drive and will go by Lone Star Steakhouse and Florentinas (Italian). From either of those places it will be relatively easy to get back on the 76 Strip.

Yes, traffic will be heavy from the Landing heading west on the Strip. Pick up one of the free maps (available at most hotels and many businesses) that show alternate routes around town. Learn to travel those routes ( not a difficult task) and you will avoid much of the heavy traffic!

MIssouri
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay

"There is a company in downtown Branson that will take your family on a guided canoe/kyak trip on Lake Taneycomo ."

Does anyone happen to know the name of this company? Been looking for a similar experience for our family and having never done anything like this would prefer a guide.

Thanks.