We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local experts and frequent travelers to Branson, please...

Which Branson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Local experts and frequent travelers to Branson, please...

We are traveling to Branson next week for our first family vacation since the arrival of our grandson. There will be hubby and I, single adult daughter, and daughter, son-in-law, and 3 year old grandson. We're staying at Thousand Hills in a 3-bedroom condo Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Will have to leave Monday afternoon.

1st question-coming from Oklahoma, we'll be taking I-44 toward Springfield. I know there is a short cut between I-44 and Branson so you don't have to drive all the way around Springfield then down HW 65. Do you know the name of the road?

2nd question, is there an alternate route from that short cut to Thousand Hills in order to stay off 76? We'll be arriving around the time for everyone to get out of the shows and don't want to get caught in the traffic.

3rd question, we're going to Dixie Stampede Saturday night. Are there any ways to get discounts? Is the pre-show worth going to?

4th question, we're going to Silver Dollar City Sunday. Are there any ways to get discounts? Probably going back Monday until early afternoon.

Last question, where's the best place to get a map of the alternative routes?

Thanks for any other information or suggestions you might want to offer. We've been there many times, but have never used alternates and have never been with a toddler.

Branson
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Local experts and frequent travelers to Branson, please...

2nd Question - If your staying off South Wildwood, I recomend you take 76 to Fall Creek (Yellow Route), then to South Wildwood.

Last Question- Best place to get a map will be at Thousand Hills when you check in. Really you can get a map at just about anywhere in Branson for free. Gas Stations,restruants,shops, ect...

phillip

nebraska
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Local experts and frequent travelers to Branson, please...

we just got back, you can get $5 off silver dollar city on marked coke cans. we live in nebraska and got ours here, another person said they had them in kansas also.

at branson 2 for 1 tickets you can get a day pass thats good for 2 days. i searched forever and found that these were the only 2 options for a discount. you really need to go to silver dollar for 2 days. 1 is just not enough. and go right when they open!! also if you go after 3 you can get in the next day for free.

you can probably find a map of branson online, im sure i ran across one somewhere. but you can find them EVERYWHERE in branson.

branson 2 for 1 also had something about dixie stampede. check with them. otherwise check out reserve branson.com are safe bets.

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local experts and frequent travelers to Branson, please...

In reply to your 1st Question:

We come from Oklahoma and this is the route we take.

Merge onto JAMES RIVER FWY / MO-360 E via EXIT 69 toward ROUTE 60. from I-44 3.9 miles

JAMES RIVER FWY / MO-360 E becomes US-60 E. 9.6 miles

Merge onto US-65 S toward BRANSON. 33.1 miles

This is the shortcut we take rather than going totally into Springfield. You miss alot of traffic.

Hope this helps!

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local experts and frequent travelers to Branson, please...

One more comment about the shortcut you may have heard about rather than coming in on Highway 65. We did one shortcut that I believe cut off around Mt. Vernon or some small town like that that went thru real small towns. We only did that once. It seemed to take longer because it was two way roads that you had to keep slowing down in small towns and you would have a problem passing others that were driving slower than we were. Didn't really seem to be a shortcut there. So . . . we recommend the highway all the way. I guess the other way could be more scenic.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
416 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local experts and frequent travelers to Branson, please...

Here is an online version of the map. . .

bransontourismcenter.com/mapofbranson.htm

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local experts and frequent travelers to Branson, please...

Thanks so much for all the replys. That James River was the shortcut I was talking about and I appreciate your refreshing my memory on where to turn, etc. You all have been so helpful. Any other suggestions you might have to make this vacation more enjoyable?

Dunkirk, Indiana
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local experts and frequent travelers to Branson, please...

We pick up a booklet at our hotel and it has coupons and a map in it. The one booklet that I pickup has resturant locations on the map. I can not remember what the booklet was called.

Beebe, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local experts and frequent travelers to Branson, please...

Glad you picked Branson.. There are so many things to do that it's hard to get it all in. Downtown Branson has added a new area called the Branson Landing. It is partly done, so you can go down and enjoy it, It is a outdoor mall that has wonderful resturaunts and wonderful shopping and out door street entertainers like jugglers,singers, dancers ect... It sits on the banks of Lake Taneycomo and it will have a water feature with fire and water , it is designed and built by the same people that did the one in las vegas at the Bellagio. It will up and running soon. It's a great new addition to Branson. And there also is the new Titanic Museum that opened a few months back. It is the worlds largest Titanic Museum in the world. It is built to look like the ship itself, You are given a boarding pass of someone who was really on the ship , at the end you find out if you lived or died. It last for around 90 minutes or so, but you will want to stick around and enjoy the museum longer . The cost is $17.95 per person.

And there is a wonderful litle 50's style Diner called the hard luck diner that features aspiring singers as your wait staff. They will all take turns between serving you to sing some wonderful songs from the past while you dine. The food is typical diner fare.. It also features a wonderful soda shoppe. It is located in the grand village shopping mall. Right next to the grand palace theater. There also is some really quaint shops located right next to the diner.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local experts and frequent travelers to Branson, please...

Thanks for the additional information. We love Branson and went many times when our kids were small. Now that we have a grandkid, we decided to do a trip for him. We can't wait to see his reaction to everything!!! The Hard Luck Diner is one of our must-dos when we go to Branson. We really like the atmosphere and the food is really pretty good. Do you have any suggestion s for good food at SDC, Celebration City or Branson proper. We're going to eat breakfast in our condo every morning except one (when we go to HL diner), and will have lunch and dinner at SDC and possibly CC. If we don't go to CC, we'll take in some of the sights and museums in Branson, maybe do the IMAX, shopping or whatever. On that day, we'll need a good place for lunch and dinner. Any ideas?

Kansas
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local experts and frequent travelers to Branson, please...

Definitely see the preshow at Dixie Stampede. When you buy your tickets, you'll get a coupon for a free drink (non-alcoholic) in a souvenir mug. It's usually funny, fairly casual, and an entertaing way to spend a few hours. I'm not sure about discounts -- we're Silver Dollar City season pass holders, so we always use that discount.

Dining -- at Silver Dollar City, try the barbecue place down by the Lost River ride. That's our favorite. Don't eat at Celebration City, eat before you go. Our favorites in Branson are mostly chain restaurants -- Ruby Tuesdays, Fuddruckers, Steak and Shake (but there aren't any of those around here, so it still feels like a treat). I see you're already going to Hard Luck, another of our favorites. Grand Country Buffet is the only buffet that I'll eat, so that's always a good choice.