We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Cedar Lodge or Chateau on the Lake

Which Branson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
102 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Big Cedar Lodge or Chateau on the Lake

We are big city people, but will be venturing to the Branson area for a wedding for 2 nights in June. We are looking for the nicest place to stay in the area and are trying to decide between Big Cedar Lodge or Chateau on the Lake (unless people have other suggestions).

Chateau on the Lake is VERY near where the wedding will be held, but for the price and from the photos people have taken, the place looks very dated and NOT nearly a 5* resort. ????

The website for Big Cedar Lodge looks much nicer and the private cabins seems very updated. Is that the case?

Which place is a newer, more luxury experience? We are getting a space for 6 people (which may mean multiple rooms or cabins). We want to be near the lake and don't care if we are close to the Branson "strip" area.

Thanks.

Choctaw, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Cedar Lodge or Chateau on the Lake

Both are very nice but I prefer Big Cedar. They have more ammenities and it is absolutely gorgeous there. Another option that we really love is The Hilton Promenade at Branson Landing. www.hilton.com/PromenadeBranson They have condos as well as hotel rooms and its very nice. They also have the Hilton Convention Center right across the street so be sure to request the Landing. I think you'll really enjoy it and Branson Landing has many bars and restaurants as well as good shopping right on the lake. Good luck and have fun

BigDave

Branson, MO
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Cedar Lodge or Chateau on the Lake

The two are completely different resorts. The Chateau is not a 'dated' property - the management keeps the place in very good condition. It's as close to a 5* as you'll find in SW Missouri and I would recommend it, especially if you want a more 'city' feel to your stay.

Big Cedar, on the other hand, is a very nice resort but very rustic, Lots of wood, exposed beams, stuffed animals on the wall, etc. Hunting and fishing themed. It's located about 10 miles south of Branson. It's also spread out, so if you rent a cabin you'll have to take a shuttle to the restaurant. Both properties are right on the lake but the Chateau has better views, in my opinion, since it sits next to Table Rock Dam on a broad part of the lake. Big Cedar is tucked back in a cove and, while much of it sits up on a hill, just a small section of the lake is visible. At BC you might be able to rent a cabin that sleeps 6. The cabins are very nice and well-kept but if you want a 'big city' experience Big Cedar is not it, by design.

The Chateau is about 12 years old. Big Cedar has been in there since the 1920's, but many of their cabins have been built in the last few years. They still have some cabins and lodges that have been there for decades, so you probably would want to request one of the newer cabins. Also, if you stay at the Chateau request a room on the south or west sides where the views are best.

Both properties are highly recommended - just depends on the style of accomodations you're looking for.

Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Cedar Lodge or Chateau on the Lake

You want big cedar. And get a cabin. Don't be cheap and get the hotel room. Chateau is right on the lake. Big cedar is "back in the woods". You will love it.

C M
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
978 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Cedar Lodge or Chateau on the Lake

I have never been to Big Cedar - but we have stayed at Chateau three times and it is our PICK . If we don't stay there - we always do their Sunday Champagne brunch. Get a lake view - and be sure to try the spa. Either choice will be a nice retreat I am sure.

We have also stayed at Hilton Promenade. It is more modern, right on the Landing and has a great breakfast! You won't go wrong with any of these choices.

Overland Park
Level Contributor
170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Cedar Lodge or Chateau on the Lake

I have stayed at both properties and my vote would be Big Cedar, all the way!!!

Columbia, Missouri...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Cedar Lodge or Chateau on the Lake

Where did you end up going? I vote big cedar - definitely!

While the views at Chateau are open and spacious beautiful and relaxing, we were disappointed overall in the hotel when we stayed April 12 for the first time. The staff was friendly, the food was below average, the bed not as comfortable. We won't be staying there again.

Big Cedar by design is rustic, but it is well taken care of, the staff is beyond helpful and friendly, the food is delicious, we have stayed there three times and will return.

I heartily recommend staying there with family over the Christmas holidays. It is worth the trip with the memories you will make from hayride with hot chocolate and carols, beautifully decorated Christmas trees, breakfast with Santa, and Elf tuck-in. I love the Christmas season at Big Cedar.

7. Re: Big Cedar Lodge or Chateau on the Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, June 20, 2013