We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Springs Sleep Inn Horror Story - Manager Rick Maloney

Washington, DC
1 post
Save Topic
Blue Springs Sleep Inn Horror Story - Manager Rick Maloney

Below is a letter I recently mailed to the management company in charge of the Sleep Inn hotel on I-70...

This letter is in reference to an incident at your hotel on Thanksgiving Eve between your hotel manager and an employee he worked with that evening. I regret to say that I filed a formal complaint with Clarion Hotels ��� actually three total ��� but felt that you may not know exactly what happened that evening. I���d like to discuss the matter personally with the hotel owner as the evening I spent at your hotel with my 7-year-old son was one of the most humiliating and degrading nights of my life.

Briefly, to highlight the most incredible of the events, my little boy ended up in the lobby of the Sleep Inn, in our pajamas at midnight, and were yelled at, sworn at, called terrible things, and told to leave the hotel as it was private property. When I asked for them to call the police, they refused. As I held my crying son, and asked for them to stop and be a little more sensitive and professional, they simply yelled louder as we backed on to the elevator.

What led to the trip to the lobby was a party going on in the next room, which neither Rick nor Michelle was willing to investigate. They simply said that the folks making the noise were my son and me.

I���m a consultant for over 300 Fortune 500 companies and have stayed in hotels all over the world. I���ve advised top executives on how to lead their hotel chains and independently-owned and operated hotels. Your hotel manager, Richard Maloney, acted in a way that is unconscionable to me. As I stood there with my little boy he verbally attacked, embarrassed, humiliated, and threatened me! And told me to leave the hotel immediately! ALL OF THIS FROM THE MANAGER OF THE HOTEL!!!

I had a room booked for 4 nights and left at midnight of the first, bags in hand, humiliated, in pajamas, with a child! And after agreeing to reverse the charges because ���his manager told him to,��� I realized that I was charged nevertheless. On top of everything else, I paid for that entire night!

After filing the formal complaint after returning to Washington, I received a call at 12:17 a.m. from Rick. He was extremely harassing, abusive, and used language the same way he did the night we left the hotel. I can simply not believe that he is in charge of the hotel you have financial and personal stake in. I spoke with two of your other employees as I attempted to contact R.D. Hospitality and they mentioned that Rick has received a number of complaints for the same sort of behavior!

This is something that you should be aware of and I am interested in talking with you personally. I have discussed civil options with 2 of my corporate attorneys to bring suit against Rick and, unfortunately, the Sleep Inn of Blue Springs, as he is a principal agent of the hotel. I���d like to emphasize my desire to discontinue this action and discuss alternative options with you or your management group so that we can solve this immediately.

Thanks for your time, consideration, and willingness to discuss this matter.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
70 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Springs Sleep Inn Horror Story - Manager Rick Maloney

WOW....what happened after you sent the letter? Good for you for taking action! I am from Kansas City and am horrified of such behavior. I hope this "manager" is promptly fired!!! I'm so sorry for your little boy. Please post what happens.

Anderson, Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Springs Sleep Inn Horror Story - Manager Rick Maloney

It is ironic that I came accross this post. I am having problems with this same manager (Rick Maloney) of the same Seep Inn right now!

My family and I are from Indiana. We took our vacation last week. On our way to Kansas, we stopped at the Sleep Inn. It looked like a nice place to stay. The next morning, which was my Birthday, we left and went to finish our vacation. When I returned home, three days later, I checked my bank account online, and realized that there was an extra charge from this Sleep Inn. I immediately called and was told that the charge was from a broken picture in my room and that the manager was not in for me to dispute this with so he would call me the next morning. I called the Customer Relations for the Sleep Inn chains and was told to call back and make a report.

I waited all morning for Mr. Maloney to call me back, he never did. I then called the Customer Relations back and told the woman what was going on. She told me that the complaint would go the the General Manager (which is Mr. Maloney) and he would decide what would be done with it. I then called Mr. Maloney, who was EXTREMELY rude, and he insisted that I DID break the picture. I tried to talk to him but he became hostile. I then told him that he was the most unprofessional person I had ever dealt with, and after that, he repeated that after everything that I said. He would not let me finish a sentense, and he talked over me. I told him that I wanted the name and number of the person who owned the place, and he told me I would have to write them a letter. When I asked him for the address, he gave me the address to the hotel, obviously so that he would receive the letter and the owners would never know about it. He eventually hung up on me, and I called the Customer Relations back once again, by this time I was crying hysterically. The woman took my report and said that their staff would look at it. She had no idea of the owner's information because the chains are owned individually. Later, I called Mr. Maloney back, and he was, once again, extremely rude and cocky. He told me that he handled everything for the owners, so basically there was nothing that I could do about it. There is much more that was said, and I am extremely upset with the way that I have been treated. He told me that he didn't have time for me and hung op on me AGAIN.

We did not break ANYTHING in that room, and it is very upsetting to be accused of doing so. I asked Mr. Maloney to consider the possibility that it was either already broken, or someone cleaning the room had done it. He would not even try to see reason.

I totally can not believe that this man is a General Manager of a hotel! Customer service obviously means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to him. It sounds to me like the owners of this establishment give him total control, and he TOTALLY abuses the power that he is given. I plan to call the Better Business Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce Monday morning and find out what I can do about the way that I was treated. I will stress again that my family had ABSOLUTELY no part in the damage that was done to this room, if there even was any!! It is no longer about the money that he has STOLLEN from me, but about the principal! He took money out of my account, gave me absolutely no explanation! When I tried to dispute it, he treated me like trash, and now I have to deal with all of this!! I can not believe that this man is still the manager of this place after what he done to you and your seven year old son! I wonder how far he will go before the owners see him for what he really is? Hopefully I can help them with that!

missouri
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Springs Sleep Inn Horror Story - Manager Rick Maloney

this is a outright lie. i stay at this hotel all the time and rick is one of the sweetest persons i have ever met.

missouri
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Springs Sleep Inn Horror Story - Manager Rick Maloney

i was there the night you stayed. in fact i was only watching tv because i am hard of hearing and it was a little loud. i turned it down twice for rick and i cannot believe you knocked on my door and started cussing at me in front of your own kid. then you went downstairs and started cussing at rick for no reason. you are a crazy son of gun. you have no right to cuss at rick and you not not kicked out by him. you left on your own. i hope rick sues you for slander. this should not be on here.

missouri
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Springs Sleep Inn Horror Story - Manager Rick Maloney

this hotel is fantastic and rick is the nicest guy around. he has the cleanest rooms and friendly staff and has the most up to date rooms. every week i stay here and rick greets me with a smile and takes care of my every need. i would be very disappointed if rick was no longer here. this lady is an outright liar. rick told me she was never charged and so what if she was. it says in room mirrors will be charged for damages. so if she hadnt done this why did she not say so at check in? rick and this hotel are number 1.

Anderson, Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Springs Sleep Inn Horror Story - Manager Rick Maloney

This is funny! I sent a complaint about Mr. Maloney to the Better Business Bureau. In that compalint, I added that I had found this forum about another disgruntled customer that had the misopportunity of meeting Mr. Rick Maloney, I also added the address to the forum, for their reference. I was told that Mr. Maloney would receive a copy of the complaint and would respond. Now, IRONICALLY, when I recieve a conformation that Mr. Maloney has responded to my complaint, THIS MORNING, there are posts on this forum of people claiming that Mr. Maloney is just WONDERFUL!

HI RICK! HOW ARE YA?!

It takes a real PROFESSIONAL, I tell ya!!

Everything that I said is TRUE!

Springfield, MO
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Springs Sleep Inn Horror Story - Manager Rick Maloney

That is funny - and it's totally obvious that the person who wrote this is financially involved with the hotels. Seriously, how would you know if you were there that night? And why would a disgruntled customer knock on another customer's door and cuss at them? Somebody didn't put much thought into their lies, now did they?

What really amuses me is that whoever wrote those posts thinks it will actually make the hotel and the manager look better.

Some people are just not very smart.

Get answers to your questions about Blue Springs