We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starkville versus Columbus, MS

Seattle
1 post
Starkville versus Columbus, MS

If you had to live in one of these towns, which is better and why? We are a couple in our 30's with elementary aged children. Please be honest.

North Mississippi
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Starkville versus Columbus, MS

I would actually have to say neither. I would pick a close/nearby small town. Eupora, MS actually has a good school system. I don't know of any of the other schools.

I actually lived in starkville as a student last year and experienced 2 sides. I rented a trailer on the outskirts of town in the country and enjoyed peaceful living with no bother from drunks and other assorted wild people. I moved into town in the cotton district and it was one big party. No peace, drunks wandering around at all hours and I have feared for my safety several times.

Traffic is bad at rush hour in both towns. I now work in columbus. I hate going into town after work because it is packed. In Starkville, I know backroads which makes it easier.

There are lots of dining options, but I prefer starkville. More specifically Mi Hacienda (mexican), China Garden (chinese), Applebees, Strombolis (small place, but worth it), and Mugshots (best burgers in town).

The small town near columbus that I would recommend would be Caledonia and near starkville- Adaton. The BEST place to buy a home or build in starkville would be the Browning Creek Subdivision. It is located out of starkville toward the Noxubee Wildlife Refuge and all of the houses are centered around a large lake. The main road isn't in the best of condition, but it would be worth the drive to live there. I hope I have helped.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
244 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Starkville versus Columbus, MS

I could not disagree more. Starkville is the way to go. In the past few years, Starkville has really blossomed, with new housing, lots of new restaurants, etc. Columbus is a dump compared...all they have is the military base. I lived in Starkville for 6 years and only went to Columbus twice. Bad mall, no restaurants, etc. The downtown (Main Street) area in Columbus is okay...but there are a lot of seedy sections right around there (ie...don't drive through there at night!)

Also, Adaton should not even be considered a town. And Ackerman, are you kidding me?

You can basically live in the outskirts of Starkville (in Oktibbeha county) and have a nice home with some acreage, or you can live in a subdivision in town. Lots to choose from.

And traffic jams? Surely this is a joke! There is no traffic in Starkville...it takes you AT MOST five minutes to get from one end of Hwy 12 to the other. The only times traffic is heavy is around football season, and if you avoid campus on those Saturdays, you should be fine.

Lots of good dining in Starkville...much better than my Freshman year (back in '99). The Veranda has nice, upscale food. Bulldog Deli or Peppers is your typical deli-style restaurant. On Main Street, Old Venice Pizza Co. has great Italian: pizza, pasta, calzones. The Cotton District Grill: great appetizers and salads.

The schools in Starkville are actually really good for public schools in Mississippi. Starkville High has great academics. There is also Starkville Academy, a private elementary and high school with great teachers (most of my friends attended Starkville Academy)

Starkville has NO CRIME, is family friendly, and if you can make a living there, you'll stay for life. The campus is not rowdy (everything closes at midnight! Try doing that in Baton Rouge!) and the kids are very friendly.

I suggest you take a little roadtrip to both Starkville and Columbus...I guarantee you'll be settling in to Starkville in no time...

North Mississippi
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Starkville versus Columbus, MS

Adaton is simply a community to live in, you would use Starkville to make your purchases from of course, but peaceful living outside starkville in the country- that is the place to live.

Maybe you haven't driven in starkville lately. At 7 AM, it takes at least 15 minutes to get from the HWY 25 all the way to the MSU campus. At Lunch, this is the same and at 5:30. I will be leaving starkville in 2 weeks, so my information is quite current.

CRIME does occur in starkville, just 2 weeks ago somebody tried to steal my bike which was chained to the railings of my porch right in the cotton district and near Main Street. (This was at 2 AM with parties still going on- who needs a place to be open to have a party??). I was leaving school late one night and had somebody walk me to my car and at that exact same time, his roommate was beaten with a baseball bat outside the school library for the $5 he had on him. Not to mention the 14 year old girl raped behind the football field at Starkville High School one evening. Somebody also set Dorman Hall on fire this past semester because he was kicked out of a concert.

Although the crime rate is significantly lower than large towns such as Shreveport (where I have lived before) and Memphis, be aware that normal precautions are necessary. That is why I recommend living in the country just outside of town. Criminals rarely leave the city! Good Luck!

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
129 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Starkville versus Columbus, MS

Starkville most certainly has crime!! We used to live there, and our home was broken into one night at 10 PM while I was home alone. My husband was out of town that night. I personally know of other incidents that happened to friends of mine. Of course their crime may not be as bad as big cities, but it does have crime!

Starkville, MS
1 post
5. Re: Starkville versus Columbus, MS

I have lived in Starkville for a little over 9 years. I moved here from Houston, TX. I would much rather live in Starkville than Columbus. The mall in Columbus is not very good, but I guess it's better than no mall. Two different times I've been either going in or coming out while a crime was taking place. Needless to say, I shop a lot on line and in Tupelo, Flowood, Murfreesboro, Tn or Baton Rouge.

There is crime here, but having lived in Houston, I am always cautious. It doesn't matter whether you live in Houston or Mayberry, in the times of today, you are going to have crimes.

Just like any other city, there are certain places you go and those you shouldn't been in anyway.

I'm sorry that other person had bad experiences on campus, but the campus police are very responsive and work very well with other law enforcement in our area.

There's great golf, fishing and hunting. The best steaks ever at Cappe's and the best hometown restaurant is Starkville Cafe. Those are only a few of some the best places to eat in town. You will definitely never to hungry here!

The churches in our area are warm and friendly.

The schools have some drawbacks, but Starkville High School has a wonderful academic program. My grandson (K-4) is attending Starkville Christian School and is already learning to read! He will probably continue to go there.

If you are looking strictly for a place to live in Mississippi with excellant schools, try Saltillo outside of Tupelo. Wonderful schools!

After nine years I'm still in shock over the cost of living here. Tupelo is less expensive to live in than Starkville.

Our current local tax is 7%. You can't beat that nowadays.

Overall, not a bad place to raise your kids.

6. Re: Starkville versus Columbus, MS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Starkville