We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one night in Oxford

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
one night in Oxford

My husband and I are planning a road trip in the South in March and will be in Oxford just for one night, in between Natchez and Memphis. We'll maybe arrive at 5 pm and leave at 7 am the next morning, so all the attractions will be closed.

Still, I'm thinking we can see Faulkner's home from the outside, and the Ole Miss campus. Is there anything I'm not thinking of that I should?

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,891 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one night in Oxford

The square in the middle of the town is interesting to walk around and eat dinner at the AJAX. It is on the town square.

Where are you staying? Recommend Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn express on West Jackson.

You will have to walk a bit to see Faulkner's home because it sits back off the road. Try and arrive before dark so you can swing by there and see it.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one night in Oxford

Thanks! My husband had already spotted AJAX as the place to eat. He's happy to have the confirmation from you.. Our time in Oxford will be too short, but I think it will be good. We'll be staying at the Comfort Inn.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,891 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one night in Oxford

Hate to tell you but the Comfort Inn is not a really nice hotel imo.

We have family who live in Oxford and visit multiple times a year. If the Hampton Inns (there are 2) and the Holiday Inn express were booked then I not stay anywhere else in town. We would stay in Batesville or Tupelo.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one night in Oxford

You mention that you are interested in seeing the Ole Miss Campus so you might be interested in staying on campus at The Inn. They have very reasonable rates and all levels of rooms (the very basic is not great, but it is very safe and very inexpensive). Also, if you enjoy bookstores and are there early enough don't forget to check out Square Books. It is right on The Square (obviously!) and is one of the best independent bookstores in the country.

Here's a link to The Inn (which is actually run by the Alumni Association)

http://www.theinnatolemiss.com

And an article about Oxford that you might find interesting:

townandcountrymag.com/leisure/travel-guide/o…

Edited: 8:20 pm, February 04, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,891 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one night in Oxford

Yes the Inn is great too. Never stayed there because always seems to be booked. The Square bookstore is great and they have so many books in such a small space.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one night in Oxford

I've stayed at and been in several rooms at The Inn. Alums "sponsor" rooms, so each room is decorated differently depending on how much the alum puts into it. The very basic, least expensive rooms are small, usually out-dated looking, and have a very small bath with only a shower. The next level up is just slightly more in price, but nicer and has a larger bath. Some of the rooms are in a renovated building, some rooms are in a brand new, modern building (they all attach). The room rate also includes a very nice breakfast and free on campus parking, which would be very convenient if you are planning to tour campus. There are also several great B&Bs in Oxford, but I've never stayed at or been in any of them (we own a Condo in Oxford, so rarely have the need to stay elsewhere when in town).

Square books is a very unique and eclectic bookstore. You'll find lots of one of a kind, signed, and first edition books there. You might even run into an author or two while there. I could spend hours in that store!

And I agree, don't miss Ajax. If you are there for dinner, be sure to try their fried pickles....they make the best around!

Edited: 2:03 pm, February 08, 2014
Reply to: one night in Oxford
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted