We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ole Miss 2013 Homecoming 'Survival' Tips

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ole Miss 2013 Homecoming 'Survival' Tips

My wife and I will be visiting Oxford as part of a weeklong trip thru MS. Secured tix for Ole Miss-Idaho game Oct 26th before realizing its Homecoming Weekend! We'll be coming from Clarksdale and have parking locked up (thank goodness), but are looking for tips on easiest routes into town, pre-game eats (any hope in getting grub someplace in Courthouse Square?), and most importantly, tailgating etiquette at the Grove (and yes, we'll be wearing navy!). Looking forward to any and all suggestions that'd make our day all the more memorable. Hotty toddy!

3 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,998 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ole Miss 2013 Homecoming 'Survival' Tips

Check post below on this forum titled Tailgating, etc. 2013. It has some good info.

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ole Miss 2013 Homecoming 'Survival' Tips

Since you are coming in from Clarksdale, you will be coming into town on Highway 6. For games with big crowds, several hours before the game it can start to back up once you hit town. You said you had your parking arranged. Are you on campus? There were a lot of glitches with on campus parking and shuttles to and from off campus parking last week at the A & M game. The university athletic department issued a public apology for the problems and pledged to make things better. I would hope that many of those issues will be worked out this weekend for the LSU game and that things will flow better for you next week.

Here is an example of the problems last week. We met 2 friends at the game. They stayed in a hotel in Oxford and took a shuttle to the game. My son and I parked in a neighborhood near the square. When the game ended, we walked 30 minutes to our car and drove an hour to our hotel in Olive Branch, MS (a suburb of Memphis) faster than our friends got back to their hotel in Oxford on a shuttle. Again, I think that will get better as changes are made.

There are many places to eat on the square. We usually eat at a dinner a mile or so north of the square called "The Beacon". It reminds me of the Mayberry Diner on the Andy Griffith Show. The places on the square are much more upscale. The only place I have eaten there was Golden Rule BBQ.

The Grove is a fun place. Many people there welcome in complete strangers to their tents and share their food. A friend of mine and his son from Knoxville were well taken care of the last time Tennessee came to Oxford. If someone invites you to join them and you are hungry, take them up on the offer. They really mean it when they ask you to join them. You will leave as friends. Two hours before kickoff, buses let the team off on one end of the grove and they walk on a side walk through the grove to the stadium. This is called the "Walk of Champions". It is fun to watch.

Have a great trip. I am sure you will be welcomed with good, old fashioned southern hospitality.

Have a great trip. I hope you enjoy your trip to Oxford.

Edited: 3:33 pm, October 18, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,998 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ole Miss 2013 Homecoming 'Survival' Tips

Glad you posted tntands!!

A lot of people like to eat on the square in Oxford. The Ajax diner is a favorite- in the off season have seen Eli Manning and his family eating there.

Reply to: Ole Miss 2013 Homecoming 'Survival' Tips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted