We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe area for single female traveler

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safe area for single female traveler

Flying in for two days business. Worried by all the horrible hotel reviews--bedbugs, guns, thefts---where can I safely stay? Will have car. Thanks!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe area for single female traveler

Penn...........Jackson is like all the other large cities in the South. Be careful. Where are you going to be working. The best area's to stay and dine are N or Jackson around Madison. You don't need to be downtown Jackson. If you are working downtown you can get there from N Jackson on I 55 in 15 minutes. I would stay near Exit 108 at the Hyatt at Colony Crossing. Good luck.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe area for single female traveler

Will be traveling around area. Was going to book Hilton Garden Inn Pearl---ok area?

Thank you!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe area for single female traveler

Hey fourchette,

I stayed at the Hampton on Greymont when I went through there. Really nice people, good coffee, safe and always ready with breakfast. I am a female and I travel alone often for work, so I understand your concerns. I always stay at Hampton and I'm never scared or disappointed. Take good care.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe area for single female traveler

The Hampton Inn at Greymont is a nice hotel and close to downtown but it's not close to walking distance from nice places. It's near the Coliseum. There's not much around it but other hotels and car dealerships.

I would stay at The Hilton on County Line Road. They have a nice restaurant and there are nice shopping centers close by. There's a lot going on in that area. Good luck.

Hilton @ 1001 East County Line Road, Jackson, MS 601 - 957 - 2800.

http://www.hiltonjackson.com/

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe area for single female traveler

Pearl is OK...there are a lot of restaurants, etc. nearby, and a bit less traffic than County Line Road. Far enough from the center of town, but not a long drive like Brandon. It is also convenient to the airport. Don't know about bedbug reports, but thats easy enough to check. But yes, Pearl is generally a "good area". North of town, Ridgeland, Madison, Canton, ARE probably the best areas of town, but Ridgeland (County Line Road) is VERY heavy traffic.-malls, shopping parking lots, etc. Clinton is also acceptable, but far out (west) as Brandon (east) if you do not have business there. If you are in an HGI, they will have plenty of help and suggestions for you at the front desk.

Miller

reedsburg
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe area for single female traveler

my son was murderd while working/staying in jackson ms. we were staying at super 8 motel on or near ellis and hywy 80. we were told it was safe /we have cameras ect. never had any trouble , very quiet .Prentiss was shot 3 times in the head while cooking on grill 30 feet from our room door! While prepairing to bring our son home my wife and i stayed at Fairfield inn & suites marriott, located at 5723 I-55 north jackson. Ms. Jones, Heather, Laura, and Alisha were very understanding,helpful, considerate.MY HAT'S OFF TO THESE YOUNG LADIES. This is at or near countyline rd.For your own safty DO NOT stay anywhere south of there.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe area for single female traveler

Curt..........I pray for your terrible loss. Jackson, MS has a lot of crime but it's usually in areas that tourists don't frequent. Several white teenagers robbed and kiilled an AA in Pearl last week. Life is not fair.

I pray God's blessings on your family.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe area for single female traveler

Hello sorry to continue on an old thread, but I will be in Jackson just for the day this Friday. I will be arriving on the Amtrak, so I would like to know if that area is safe, or if I should just jump in a cab and get out of that area? I would like to see the capital, the old capital, and have a nice southern style lunch. Suggestions appreciated!

Pearl, Mississippi
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe area for single female traveler

The AA was not killed in Pearl. He was killed in the same area around Hwy 80 and Ellis where the young man was killed cooking on his grill mentioned above. That is a very bad area. Some of the teens are from Rankin County/Pearl/Brandon area. As mentioned by another poster, not an area where tourists need to stay. Overall Jackson metro is much like any other mid to large city. It's a great place if you know the area.

Pearl, Mississippi
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe area for single female traveler

Too late to help, but hope you had a good stay. That is a safe area during business hours. Be careful at night. Anyway, hope you had a good stay.