We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hospital / Hotel

Green Bay, WI
4 posts
Save Topic
Hospital / Hotel

We need a hotel near the Gilette Children's Hospital. The two I was looking into were the Best Western and Economy Inn. I'm sure the nearby Embassy Suites are wonderful, but I really only stop in to shower and return to the hospital. Any suggestions?

Green Bay, WI
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hospital / Hotel

Oh, and I'd like to be able to walk there from the hospital. Is that safe? The Children's Hospital in Minneapolis is NOT safe to walk around after dark.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hospital / Hotel

It's not a bad area - around the hospital. However, I would recommend walking to the Best Western (Kelly Inn?) as that's a not so good area. There is a Holiday Inn River Center is just a few blocks from the United/Children's hospital complex and there are some great bars & restaurants nearby. I'd highly recommend Patrick McGovern's. :)

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hospital / Hotel

Fat fingers....I would not walk to the Best Western/Kelly Inn.

St Paul Minnesota
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hospital / Hotel

If I recall correctly, Gilette is either next to or within a block of Regions Hospital, yes? I think the Best Western on St Anthony Ave will be the closest for you, even if walking there after dark isn't a good idea.

The Holiday Inn over by River Centre is nice, but its definitely not near the hospital, and with activites at the River Centre, plus the activity going on at the Liffey (a wonderful Irish pub located inside the Holiday Inn), it may not be very restful for you, or easy to get in and out of.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
130 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hospital / Hotel

Hello- I aagree with the suggested places and the reasons for not walking- Have you contacted them about a shuttle service -either hotel may provide knowing the sitution. (as I working for another healthcare system and a hotel close our hotel providers shuttle service, but the late nights you 'd have to check about. The river center would have more located around it- Kelly Inn is next to Sears and then government buildings.

This from the hospital web page- may offer some other tips. Accomodations

You may request a Gillette Children's Lodging List by contacting the Child and Family Services offices by email or by calling (651) 229-3855. A complete listing of accomodations is on the City of St. Paul site at www.stpaul.gov/welcome/accommodations.html. here is the hospital weblink-http://www.gillettechildrens.org/default.cfm/PID=1.6.1

Green Bay, WI
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hospital / Hotel

Thank you all for your advice. I'll keep looking for a hotel. I appreciate the advice on nearby places, too! Thanks much!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hospital / Hotel

My mistake, I was thinking Children's Hospital near United. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Green Bay, WI
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hospital / Hotel

The Best Western Kelly Inn (on St. Anthony Blvd) was the hotel I was hoping to stay at. Apparently it is "less than one mile from Gillette, near the State Capitol Building".

Is that one O.K., then?

St Paul Minnesota
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hospital / Hotel

I don't know anything about that hotel in particular, but I think from a location perspective, it will be fine. I am guessing most of your time will be at the hospital, and convenience will be the most important thing for you. The area has some problems, but its not THAT bad. Stick to the places around there and just south of I-94 and you will be just fine. Anything along University Ave is fine during the day.

If you are headed for Gilette, I am sure it is for something serious, so I wish you and your family the very, very best. It is such a great facility, I know they will take wonderful care with your loved one!

wausau, wi
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hospital / Hotel

Best Western Kelly Inn would be the beast. I was there at Regions last month when my mom was sick and tried three diffrent places. Economy Inn had drug dealers and prostitues in the parking lot with more police activity than I felt comfortable with. Same goes for the Exel Inn. When I checked the Embassy suites they offered me a hospital rate of $123 so that was out! The BW Kelly Inn was worth a few more dollars just to feel safe in. It would be a little bit of a walk though.