We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Paul traffic...how is it on a Friday afternoon/evening?

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
276 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
St Paul traffic...how is it on a Friday afternoon/evening?

My family will be traveling from Wisconsin Dells to Carlton, Minnesota (near Duluth) on a Friday evening in June. Mapquest suggests that the fastest route (5 hours) would be to take 94 all the way even though it means going through St. Paul. Anyone have experience with this trip and is this the best way to go? If we took 53 it is shorter but is not a major highway.

Thanks for your help!

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Paul traffic...how is it on a Friday afternoon/evening?

Thought I'd post what I know, seeing you haven't yet received any insight.

If you're traveling thru downtown I-94 after 7 p.m., traffic will be much lighter. It can lighten up as early as 6, but don't bet on it. The good thing is that most Twin Citians head north early, so the worst traffic is often from early afternoon to early evening.

If you're flexible and could leave early Saturday a.m., that would be ideal. We always try to do either a late Friday or early Sat departure and it's a breeze!

Hwy 53 is a decent highway, but I couldn't tell you what traffic is like on the weekends or how many small towns you go thru.

I hope that helped, good luck.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Paul traffic...how is it on a Friday afternoon/evening?

For some reason, bargaincrazy posted this twice, and got several responses under the other posting.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Paul traffic...how is it on a Friday afternoon/evening?

Thanks Rikkasdad for letting me know... I noticed that after I posted a response.

St Paul Minnesota
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Paul traffic...how is it on a Friday afternoon/evening?

On Friday everyone is going the opposite direction, so I think it will be fine. The problem will be in getting on 35E North to go to Duluth (I assume that's what MapQuest is telling you? Not sure where Carleton is). If you are taking 94 all the way through the city and westward like you are going to St Cloud, then things will get very sticky when you get to the other side of Minneapolis. Traffic between Minneapolis and St Cloud is a mess during late rush hour.

Hope this helps - you may just want to stay overnight in our fair city on Friday night, then take a leisurely drive the rest of the way on Saturday morning. Duluth is only 2 1/2 hours from St Paul.

Good luck!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Paul traffic...how is it on a Friday afternoon/evening?

boatgirl66, did you notice that the posting was for a trip in June?

6. Re: St Paul traffic...how is it on a Friday afternoon/evening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 15, 2009