We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you haven't been there, you haven't been to St. Paul

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,434 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
If you haven't been there, you haven't been to St. Paul

I saw this article in the paper this morning. I remember a lot of great visits to Mancini's back in the day. Maybe this post can be used to start collecting some St. Paul offerings. Cheers!

twincities.com/ci_21844406/st-paul-these-are…

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you haven't been there, you haven't been to St. Paul

Mancini's is a classic. I went as a child and took my wife for her first trip there a few months ago. Just an old-timey steak/lobster joint feel.

Great bar (in fact a year ago Star Tribune listed it in its top 5 lounge bars in the Twin Cities). All around good value too, compared to the two high-priced steak joints in Mpls. I always think I might see Ray Liotta and joe Pesci in there.

Love that there is nearly endless parking too, unlike other restaurants in St. Paul or Mpls.

And I love that their owner cares about his product. When my wife got a clearly overcooked steak (the only blemish the whole night), she didn't even need to feel high-maintenance and bring it up. The waitress noticed and whisked it away and came back in a few minutes with a perfectly cooked steak and the owner, who apologized personally and took the cost of her steak off the menu and gave her a complimentray glass of wine.

Love Mancini's. Wish it were closer to me.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you haven't been there, you haven't been to St. Paul

As for the Nook, I like it. And I know its smallness is part of what people like about it, but it's just too hard to get in there and seated unless it's some completely nonpeak time.

i really like the Groveland Tap in place of the Nook.

Gopher Bar is great. Don't go if you hate profanity.

One thing I somewhat thought might be on this list was a boo-ya joint or classic Friday fish fry joint -- like Obb's on the east side.

And I really don't get how Red's can't be on there. I think it's that it is too widely known but that original location is like stepping back 30 years.

3. Re: If you haven't been there, you haven't been to St. Paul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 15, 2013