We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday Fish Fry

FITCHBURG
Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Friday Fish Fry

Going to be in the Apple Valley area for the weekend and looking for a bar / restaurant serving a good fish fry. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,966 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday Fish Fry

In St. Paul, you might want to check out Tavern on Grand --- good fish on the menu.

http://www.tavernongrand.com/

In Minneapolis, Gluek's downtown has an ol' fashioned Friday Fish Fry -

Cajun catfish, red beans/rice, hush puppies, cole slaw - all you can eat for $11.95.

They also have several of their home brewed beers on tap.

http://www.glueks.com/fishfry.html

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday Fish Fry

I don't have much experience that far south (Apple Valley). But if you can make a little bit of a drive (still SE metro) up to Inver Grove, there's a really good fry at Mississippi Pub, right on the river. Just 35E North to Lone Oak and head east (street name changes a few times but stay on it). Not that far -- at least your're staying in the SE burbs.

If you can drive up to St. Paul (not downtown either, so no parking issues) there are a number of places that do a good fry.

Most of the ones I go to are cod fries, which doesn't bother me but some purists will drive farther for a walleye/perch fry.

I like the fry at Obb's on the east side, right off 94/Hwy 61. Good old timey spot with nice interior and a fry with sides (I think slaw) and good service.

Groveland Tap also has a nice fry -- Groveland area of St. Paul (more west side).

And if it is walleye you must have then Cafe Twenty-Eight does a delicious one, but it is a little spendier ($14). It should be pointed out that Cafe Twenty-Eight is a nice place, and when I brought my wife there for a fry she said it was good but it didn't have the fish fry feel even though she was eating fried fish. Just not that homey informal feeling you get at the bar fries.

FITCHBURG
Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday Fish Fry

Thanks for the suggestions. We are still undecided on which one, they all look really good.

FITCHBURG
Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friday Fish Fry

After all the great suggestions, we heard about a place called "Rascals Bar and Grill" that was really close to her house. I can't remember or if, I have ever had better walleye than what they served that night. Their special was "all you can eat" walleye with fries and cole slaw for $13.95. The walleye had a light breading that was crisp and not greasy. Our waitress had just set our orders down and asked if we wanted more fish. Food and service were outstanding.

Next trip we will try to eat at one of the other suggested places.

Thanks again.

5. Re: Friday Fish Fry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, October 03, 2012