We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Light rail and Amtrak

North Dakota
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Light rail and Amtrak

Does anyone know how far the light rail system in MSP is to the Amtrak station? We hope to come in on Amtrak but want to take the light rail to our hotel which is near the Mall of America. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Kauaibum

Mentioned in this post
Mall of America
Mall of America
4,905 Reviews
Bloomington, MN
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Light rail and Amtrak

Unfortunately, it is not feasible at this time...the Light Rail Train currently goes into downtown Minneapolis whereas the Amtrak station is in St. Paul (and, for that matter, not in downtown St. Paul). There is a planned second line that would go past the Amtrak station relatively closely, but that is at least years down the line (no pun intended). From the Amtrak station, you would need to take either a city bus to downtown Minneapolis or catch a cab. You can check out www.metrotransit.org for bus information, and it appears you would want the 50 line, which is a limited stop bus to downtown Minneapolis. I would guess a taxi to be about $15-20 to downtown Minneapolis.

Edited: 7:43 pm, August 11, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Saint Paul
Saint Paul
Minnesota
minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Light rail and Amtrak

If you use the bus to get to downtown for light rail, it's on a fairly busy route so you wouldn't wait long for it.

However, I question whether the taxi would be that expensive. It's less than 4 miles to the Franklin Ave station (south of downtown), which appears to be the closest light rail stop. When I take a 4 mile cab ride from my office to home, it's around $12.

I might take my time and enjoy the sites getting to your hotel from the train. Then for expediency's sake, take a cab back when you're heading home.

Mentioned in this post
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Light rail and Amtrak

If you do take the bus option to connect you with light rail, please know the buses and trains are operated by the same agency, metro transit. Which means if you buy a bus ticket to connect with light rail, you can use the same ticket to ride the train. Just so you don't think you need two separate tickets.

There is a thread on here from a week or so ago about a very similar thing, only getting to Amtrak from light rail. You can read up on that about which bus makes a good connection or use the route planner on metrotransit.org.

I'd estimate $15 to the light rail station, a smidge more if you have baggage.

4. Re: Light rail and Amtrak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 09, 2011