We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayo/Hotel Shuttle Question

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Mayo/Hotel Shuttle Question

I have stayed in Rochester numerous times over past 5 years and have always stayed at the Hampton Inn (south location).Due to increase in prices I may not be able to stay on upcominig visit. I know there is a city shuttle that stops at all hotels with drop offs at Mayo clinic and St Marys hospital. My question is this: which hotels offer their OWN shuttle for just their hotel? The city shuttle only runs every hour, and no guarantee that you will make it on a shuttle, and also have a long time to get to the clinic due to many stops to pick up/drop off others.

I have loved staying at the Hampton due to the cleanliness, great staff, and the frequent shuttle service (every 30 minutes). As well as they have picked me up after a long day of procedures after the scheduled shuttle service was over.

I have visited some of the cheaper hotels in the area and was not happy with what I saw, as I require very clean rooms, and also like to have a nice community area to sit in as I sometimes travel there alone and don't like to sit in my room all night by myself. (Having a group/community room is always nice to chat with others). The convenience of the frequent shuttle is important to me as well. Which is why I ask if anyone knows which hotels offer there own shuttles (not the city shuttle that stops at ALL hotels).

Thank you in advance

PS..the Mayo discounted rates are not really very discounted anymore =-( My AAA rate is the same, and that is still high these days =-(

Gets very costly when having to stay 3-7 days each visit =-(

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
628 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayo/Hotel Shuttle Question

Almost all name brand hotels in Rochester offer a shuttle service. I suggest that you check the TA reviews for ratings and contact the hotels directly to inquire if they offer a shuttle service. You might try the Best Western Plus Soldiers Field location or the Country Inn North. (Ask for the main building at the Best Western) Both are nice and offer shuttle service.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayo/Hotel Shuttle Question

Hi thank you. I do know that pretty much all hotels in Rochester have shuttle service to the Clinic. The problem is that many of them run on the city shuttle service. I am only wanting to know which hotels offer their own privately owned shuttles. The city shuttle only runs to each hotel once per hour. They also are known to fill up and therefore making it hard to guarantee a spot for people needing to get to/from the clinic and hospital. I have called some of the other hotels to inquire about their shuttles but am always simply told the same thing, that Yes, they offer shuttle service. This I already know. I am only wanting to know which hotels offer their own private/company owned shuttles?

The Hampton Inns both have their own shuttles, thereby allowing more service times (running every 30 minutes as compared to the Once per hour time frame for the city shuttle), as well as offering individual runs to pick up if need be after normal clinic/shuttle hours.I was hoping to know which properties offer the same, and had hopes of finding another hotel that may be a bit cheaper than what I have been paying. although most hotels offer a 'Mayo Clinic' rate, those rates are no less than my AAA rate. Prices have jumped about $20-$35 in price per night in past 5 years I have been coming nto the Clinic. Was hoping to save money, but not at the expense of using the city shuttle service. Thank you

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
628 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayo/Hotel Shuttle Question

I was unaware that there is a city shuttle. The large hotels that I recommend such as the Hampton have their own shuttle. Try the Best Western Plus and the Country Inn North.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayo/Hotel Shuttle Question

Read this post because we will also be looking for a hotel with shuttle.

As for "Prices have jumped about $20-$35 in price per night in past 5 years..." - what hasn't risen in price in the last five years? A $5-$7 rate increase per year does not seem unreasonable to me. As with any location, supply and demand dictates the price the hotels can get in any location. Yes, the prices at the better hotels are high but I don't find them out-of-line with what we have paid in other cities.

Yes, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference (if any) between AAA and the Mayo rate but not everyone belongs to AAA so it is nice that a lower rate ifs offered to all patients.

Have you asked specifically if it is their own shuttle as opposed to the city shuttle you mention? Another option, if you are physically able, is to stay at a hotel that's easily walkable from the clinic. This of course will likely increase the price but sometimes you just can't get everything.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayo/Hotel Shuttle Question

Barbp...I have stayed in that area many times over past 5 years. I have visited a variety of hotels and looked into the rooms, in hopes of saving money. Each stay requires anywhere from 3-7 days and this past visit required 2 trips within 2 weeks at a total of 9 nights, so it gets costly. I have found that the various shuttle services are part of what can make or break a stay there. The cheaper and more inexpensive hotels use a shuttle that stops at many hotels and only stop at each property 1x per hour, and can fill up, thereby making it a longer wait to get on the shuttle. Also can fill up when leaving the Clinic. some also do not go to St Mary's hospital, which is where I sometimes have to go for out-patient surgical type procedures. About 1/2 of my visits require that I travel alone due to not having anyone to go with, so I rely on good, timely transportation to get me to/from these hospital visits.

I have Always been happy with the Hampton Inn, but due to financial concerns, this last trip I had hoped to save some money by staying at a less expensive place. I found that in making many phone calls to ask questions that it was better for me to just spend the extra money to stay at the Hampton Inn due to frequent shuttle (Hampton owned and operated), great staff and always clean rooms. They also send a special shuttle to pick me up form St Mary's later at night after a surgical procedure. The other shuttle service does not offer this.

I did check on other hotels that offer their own private shuttle such as the Best Western, but they were much more expensive. The hotels closer to the Clinic are also higher priced or just as much, so no real benefit to staying closer to the clinic for me.

I do believe that another set of hotels offer a shuttle that only runs between all their properties, but this shuttle also only runs 1x per hour and doesn't offer late hours if need be. Believe me, I do tons of research when it comes to traveling and saving money where I can. I was asking this question on this forum in case there was something I was missing, but thank you for you input.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayo/Hotel Shuttle Question

deputy - nothing wrong with trying to save money. I try to do the same but sometimes the cost difference isn't worth the amenities and convenience you give up. Glad to hear you like the Hampton. I'll have to look at that as we will be in Rochester for at least 6 nights, maybe more.

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayo/Hotel Shuttle Question

Barb...Hampton Inn's Mayo rate is $89, or at least it was in April and early May. The staff is wonderful there and only about $15 more than some of the cheaper hotels, but comes with the hot breakfast, as well as hot soup every night in the evenings which is nice after a long day at the Clinic. Good luck with you visit there at Mayo

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mayo/Hotel Shuttle Question

deputy - Thanks for the additional info. The rate sounds very good. With a 6 night or longer stay, we won't go "cheap". OK for a 1-2 night stay but for a longer stay we much prefer something that we know will be clean and comfortable, which it sounds like the Hampton is.

Level Contributor
21 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mayo/Hotel Shuttle Question

A couple months ago I booked six nights at the Kahler for $89 on Priceline. A few weeks ago I decided to gamble and booked a 2.5 star Rochester hotel. thru their Express Deals section. I got six night at the Hampton north for $59 a night. I'll do that again.

10. Re: Mayo/Hotel Shuttle Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, September 04, 2015