We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest hotel in walking distance to Mayo Clinic?

Which Rochester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest hotel in walking distance to Mayo Clinic?

I'm going to be having work done on my eyes at the Mayo Clinic and need a hotel within walking distance. However, I'm so broke that I can only afford the most basic and cheapest hotel possible. I read a couple of threads that talked about a hotel a few years ago with rates as low as $40 a night but that it closed in 2007 or thereabouts. Does anyone have any advice? Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated! I'm trying to keep the per night cost below $90 at the maximum and the walking time to or from the Mayo Clinic to a minimum.

Thank you in advance!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest hotel in walking distance to Mayo Clinic?

I cannot "recommend" most of the hotels listed, however I know a bit about each one. These should all fall into your price range of $90. Most are in the $60 range.

Most Rochester hotels offer complimentary shuttle service to Mayo. Is that a possibility for you?

Walking Distance:

Fiksdahl - by St. Mary's - older hotel, a longer walk

Days Inn - central location to all buildings except St. Mary's. Older hotel, we

eaten at the Pannekoeken Restraunt many times.

Courtesy Inn - central location, older hotel

Brentwood - entral location, older hotel

Shuttle Service Hotels

Econo Lodge South - On Broadway Ave, Ok hotel

Guest House - On Civic Center Drive, stayed here several years ago, was

ok. Has pool.

Super 8 - On Broadway Ave.

Extended Stay - North and South locations, Both are a

greater distance to the Mayo. Both are

decent hotels. Have stayed at the North

location several years ago.

Motel 6 - Hyway 52 Least expensive option, not sure if a

shuttle is an option

Microtel - Hyway 52 Decent hotel priced in the 50 - 60 range

Country Inn North - Hyway 52 We have stayed here. This is a nice hotel

lthough it has gone down hill in recent years.

Of the options listed, my first choices would be The Country Inn, Extended Stay, or Microtel. These are all shuttle locations, but are nicer than hotels which are located closer to Clinic that are within your price range. It depends on if your priority is walking with an older hotel, or if a shuttle service at a newer hotel is ok.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest hotel in walking distance to Mayo Clinic?

I honestly don't know a lot about Rochester hotels as I don't get there often, but two thoughts:

1) Definitely check out the shuttle option if you can. It will expand your options. In fact, Motel 6 states on their website they offer a shuttle, but you should probably call the hotel directly to see what their shuttle entails (times they run, how often, etc).

2) Travelocity.com has the option to search hotels from a "point of interest" or address. You could then list hotels by how far away they are, and then you find the price you are looking for. The Days Inn previously listed offered around $58/night, at least in the sample dates I picked. Of course, you can then look to reviews here to get a sense of the hotel (or ask back on this forum, I imagine).

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest hotel in walking distance to Mayo Clinic?

I honestly don't know a lot about Rochester hotels as I don't get there often, but two thoughts:

1) Definitely check out the shuttle option if you can. It will expand your options. In fact, Motel 6 states on their website they offer a shuttle, but you should probably call the hotel directly to see what their shuttle entails (times they run, how often, etc).

2) Travelocity.com has the option to search hotels from a "point of interest" or address. You could then list hotels by how far away they are, and then you find the price you are looking for. The Days Inn previously listed offered around $58/night, at least in the sample dates I picked. Of course, you can then look to reviews here to get a sense of the hotel (or ask back on this forum, I imagine).

am5
MN
Level Contributor
93 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest hotel in walking distance to Mayo Clinic?

I would say to try the Residence Inn Marriott Rochester Mayo Clinic Area. Or the Days Inn. I planned a large event in Rochester and the cheapest rooms some of my guests got were at the Days Inn.

Also, make sure you ask the hotels if they can give you a discount for being a Mayo patient, most of them have discounts for patients.

In addition, practically every hotel in town offers a free shuttle to the clinic, so you could expand your options and get farther away from downtown where the rooms are cheaper.

Try couchsurfing if you want a free place to stay in Rochester!

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest hotel in walking distance to Mayo Clinic?

Yes, the shuttles are everywhere and run on a frequent schedule to most every hotel in the area. Free.

Be sure to find out exatly where you will be going to for both procedure and followups. There are several "clinic" locations of which St. Mary's hospital is the most removed from the rest. All of the downtown locations (Mayo and Gonda building and Methodist Hospital) are on the 'subway' which is really an underground set of connecting tunnel walkways. Some hotels are on the subway so you don't have to go outside - which can be very important if visit is in Winter.

I can't recall the price but the Kahler Executive Inn (not to be confused with much more expensive cousin) was very convenient and on the subway and the lowest we could find right downtown. But really, with the shuttles any place is OK. Just be sure to ask for the "clinic rate" at any of the hotels to get the lowest rate they offer.

My very frugal parents stay at the Microtel and use the shuttle. My wife and I stay at the Guesthouse Inn & Suites (former Ttravelodge) but it runs about $79/nt.

Oostburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
270 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest hotel in walking distance to Mayo Clinic?

Is there only one shuttle, or does each hotel run its own?

The reason I ask is I expect if it stops at, say, 10 hotels, it may take a long time to reach the Mayo Clinic.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest hotel in walking distance to Mayo Clinic?

Each hotel has their own shuttle. Since this is a September post, you may wish to start a new post if you have additional questions.

8. Re: Cheapest hotel in walking distance to Mayo Clinic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, March 14, 2012