We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall colors

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Fall colors

hii...we're looking to go someplace near the twin cities (mayb 2 -3 hrs away) to see the fall colors....maybe spend a weekend someplace and rent a cabin or something....any suggestions?????

thanks for your help!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall colors

My suggestions:

-- Closer to the Twin Cities, maybe 30 minutes north: Taylor's Falls. It's on the St. Croix River. Absolutely stunning scenery, especially with the colors of fall.

-- About 2 hours, 20 minutes north: Duluth. Beautiful time of year up there. It's a town of about 80,000 but still quaint. If you like a little smaller town, away-from-it-all feel, head farther up Hwy 61 to and of the small towns up there. The north shore of Lake Superior never disappoints. Grand Marais, Lutsen. Plenty of cool places to stay in both towns. The view of Lake Superior is spectacular. Lots of sightseeing to do: hiking trails, Split Rock lighthouse, scenic railroad rides ....

You might get more detailed advice on the Duluth, MN board. The folks who live up there. I visit once a year only.

St Paul, Minnesota
Level Contributor
220 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall colors

I agree with the Taylor's Falls and North Shore suggestions. Think about the Brainerd Lakes area, also. Check out www.exploreminnesota.com they have good ideas, too.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall colors

I was in Duluth last weekend (Sept 15,16,17) and fall colors were starting to look good already. I would not wait too much longer.

It's also a traditional busy season, so make reservations in advance.

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
730 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall colors

I'm sure I'm biased because Duluth is my hometown, but it's a great place to visit in the fall. I agree with RIKKASDAD-I was also there last weekend and the trees are getting close to their peak for fall colors; also definitley make hotel reservations in advance, especially on weekends. I would recommend one of the many hotels in the Canal Park area by the Aerial Bridge-right on Lake Superior and lots of shops and restaurants in the area. (Sorry I don't mean to make this into a Duluth forum!)

Also-one of the most beautiful areas in Minnesota, in my opinion, for viewing fall colors is in Northfield, about 40 miles south on I-35 from the Twin Cities. Especially around St. Olaf and Carleton Colleges-GORGEOUS fall colors!

minnesota
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall colors

I have to agree with North Shore. My husband and I have been going there for more then 20 years. it is Gods country with lake and fall colors. there are signs on road that say fall color tour take them to see most beautiful sugar maples. Lutsen Resort is beautiful to hike to Carlton Peak to view. Take the Gondola ride to Moose Mountain and see the beauty of the North Shore. You will not be disappointed. But go this weekend or next to see the Peak Make reservations early. You will find somethong at the Mountain Inn at Lutsen Ski resort but if you get lucky stay on the lake at a resort to see beautiful Lake Superior. Would recoomend Blue Finn Resort by Lutsen if you want to stay somewhere closer to Duluth ,Dodges Lodges or Grand Superior Lodge or Larsmont Resort. We rented a Harly and are going to do the shore leaving this Tuesday. It is gonna be great.

Minnesota
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall colors

I have to agree on Duluth and Taylors Falls being great places to see for the fall colors.

I live by Taylors Falls and try to go to Duluth when I can and the drive is very relaxing and lots to see on the way.

Stop by Sauk Centre to check out the trails and cabins for some RR and then head to Duluth for the faboluos colors and mores.

Did you check Explore MN's site? I always check there for the spots to stop at.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall colors

Note that last weekend (Oct 5, 6) was pretty windy. The yelows and reds got wiped out in the Metro area. The browns from the oaks seem to be much more durable--they are still around.

8. Re: Fall colors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, August 26, 2009