We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips about attending a Saints baseball game?

Flin Flon, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Any tips about attending a Saints baseball game?

7 of us hope to see aTwins game AND a Saints game this July. I have a million questions particularly about the latter - like will we be able to get good tickets on game day? We'd love to tailgate because we've never done it before but will we be strangers in a strange land or would it be the fun thing to do that I'm imagining it is? Thought we would visit the Como Conservatory beforehand then catch a night game. Is that a reasonable thing to do? The Saint's website is a treasure but I love Forum responses and would be grateful for any tips and suggestions that might improve our experience.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tips about attending a Saints baseball game?

I think you should absolutely tailgate. It's kind of the thing to do -- as much a part of the game as first pitch.

Don't worry about strangers. Every time I've tailgated there we've ended up chatting with our surrounding tailgaters. It's a nice big lot and gives a great intro to tailgating -- because you will see seasoned vets with their grills and setups.

But in reality, all you need is food, something to cook your foot, and a cooler full of beer.

I don't know about ticket availability because I have some connections I use whenever I go. But my perception is that it shouldn't be a problem to get tickets thru the team or various online resources. I don't know that I personally would wait til gameday to get tickets lined up, but I think it could be done.

Love the environment at Midway Stadium. Listen for the "train" call over the PA system when you see a freaight train passing out in left field. It gets me to chuckle every time. Listen carefully or you'll miss it

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
932 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tips about attending a Saints baseball game?

If you are going to the July 3rd Saints game you should buy your tickets in advance as there are fireworks after the game. The 4th of July game is always packed (although this year the game is on the 3rd).

Vadnais Heights...
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tips about attending a Saints baseball game?

It is good old-fashioned baseball, without domes and the stiffness of the major leagues.

People go to cheer, enjoy the game and a victory is just incidental to the vent. It is a clash of the older players and the hopefuls. I do buy in advance, but can always get in on the "spur of the moment". Where else to stumble into Bill Murray or someone else in a very casual situation..

It will be interesting to see if it can be transferred to the new ballpark when it is finished.

Make sure you wave at the engineer when he toots as he goes by.

Paynesville...
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tips about attending a Saints baseball game?

I've been to two Saints games, one back in about 2010 and one in 2013. The only one where we tailgated was 2010 for a bachelor party so I'm basing any statements off of that and it's possible they could be out of date. Plenty of people tailgate (at least on weekends for sure), and unlike the Twins stadium downtown where I don't really know that much of any tailgating happens, the Saints parking lot right alongside the ballpark is setup nicely for it and it seems like the thing to do there. When we tailgated they even allowed reentry if you just felt like going back out to the cooler for a quick beer at the car mid game, in fact they didn't even man the gates after about the 3rd inning which we found a little entertaining. I've only sat in the foul line bleachers but my impression would be that good seats would be easy to come by on game day, however I can't guarantee that so might recommend buying beforehand if that's important.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tips about attending a Saints baseball game?

The main parking / tailgate lot tends to fill up early and quickly. I cannot tell you how early but I do know if I drive by before a weekend game it tends to be full a couple hours before game time.

6. Re: Any tips about attending a Saints baseball game?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 03, 2015