We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Twin Cities with 6 year old

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florence, Alabama
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Twin Cities with 6 year old

My husband, 6 year old daughter, and I will be visiting Minneapolis this upcoming Wednesday through Monday. We are staying in downtown Minneapolis. Obviously, we will be spending some time at the Mall of America, and we have tickets to the Vikings game on Thursday night. What are some other suggestions for fun activities or restaurants with our 6 year old?

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Twin Cities with 6 year old

The 2 hotels in The Depot complex have an attached WaterPark in the middle. Indoor and very little kid friendly. Even if you are not staying there, you can visit.

The Mill City Museum is also very popular with kids.

Edited: 6:05 pm, November 03, 2013
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Twin Cities with 6 year old

I am guessing you don't have a car. Is that correct? Makes a big difference in the activities and sights to recommend

Florence, Alabama
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Twin Cities with 6 year old

Yes, we will have a car to get around as well. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Twin Cities with 6 year old

obv that opens up your options. What kinds of things does the little one like?

Children's Museum and Science Museum of Minnesota are in downtown St. Paul.

If she likes trains like so many kids her age, there is the Jackson Street Roundhouse and the Twin City Model Railroad Museum, which has a great display.

Also, if you're staying downtown take the light rail to the MOA. No-stress option that is cheap and in itself a form of entertainment for kids

Florence, Alabama
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Twin Cities with 6 year old

My daughter is a real girly girl!! We will definitely be spending some time in the American Girl store! I will check into the train stuff too.

We are staying downtown. I know we can take the light rail to MOA, but how is the driving to it and parking there? We may do that some as well since we will have the car anyway.

Vadnais Heights...
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Twin Cities with 6 year old

Parking at the mall is not bad because of the ramps. Since it is always growing, expanding and building in many ways problems are really minimal because they always handle the heavy traffic and demands since the retailers in the MOA ultimately control things. The MOA is not yet at its final size and layout.

Dick

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Twin Cities with 6 year old

The parking is good, but there really is not a great route if you drive. If it were me I would take the train. It's easy and cheap -- and safe. The stops make the ride longer than the drive but you don't have to spend time parking (on weekends can take a while) and finding your car after the shopping.

But if you drive, I would go 35W south out of downtown, then east on Hwy 62, then south on 77. You will see signs immediately for Lindau Lane (north side of mall) and Killebrew Drive (south side of mall) -- either is fine.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
24 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Twin Cities with 6 year old

I haven't been to the Mill City Museum but I've heard it's really interesting and they make it fun for kids. The area that it's in (the "mill district" aka Gold Medal Park/Stone Arch Bridge area, etc. is a great part of downtown to visit as opposed to right in the heart of downtown which is a little more catered for weekday business. You could get ice cream at Izzy's and do the indoor version of the Mill City Farmer's Market. http://millcityfarmersmarket.org/

The Mall of America will be fun and I second taking the light rail. Parking isn't bad at MOA (and is free) but it would just be so easy to hop on the light rail downtown and not have to drive/park.

9. Re: Twin Cities with 6 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 07, 2014