We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vikings vs. Packers Tailgating

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Vikings vs. Packers Tailgating

Hi,

We are coming down to Minneapolis on a bus tour from Canada for our first Vikings game at the end of October (I think we picked a really good one!!).

I believe we'll be dropped off early enough to partake in some tailgating. Given that we don't have a vehicle though, and maybe some of the necessities to properly tailgate (BBQ, coolers, food, etc) are there options for us to buy food and drink and just enjoy the party?

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vikings vs. Packers Tailgating

Where are yoy staying?

You could walk over and join the crowds.

Bring some snax/booze to share.

FYI - liquor stores are closed Sundays.

You will have a blast. Always good energy before this rivalry.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vikings vs. Packers Tailgating

Where are yoy staying?

You could walk over and join the crowds.

Bring some snax/booze to share.

FYI - liquor stores are closed Sundays.

You will have a blast. Always good energy before this rivalry.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vikings vs. Packers Tailgating

You likely wouldn't get a vehicle in the lot unless you got there before 8 anyway. Lot os people will just be walking thru the lot to watch the back and forth. Just remember to pick up your alcohol of choice Saturday bc liquor/beer stores are closed Sunday in Minnesota.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vikings vs. Packers Tailgating

Also, there are food/beverage vendors all around, possibly even food trucks parked on the streets.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vikings vs. Packers Tailgating

Thanks everyone, good info. Sounds like we'll be able to wander around and enjoy the party - buying some food if we need to. We'll likely bring along some alcohol (picked up on Saturday - thanks for the tip).

Very much looking forward to the game!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vikings vs. Packers Tailgating

The gameday plaza along Kirby Puckett place in the shadow of the dome will have your standard (IMO very blah) food options and (IMO ver very blah) entertainment. Trivia stands, merchandise trucks, restrooms (the one saving grace) and very limited beer options for sale for $7.50 a bottle.

I wish I had been over there the one home game we had this year (anger) so far to see if the food trucks were still over along 5th Street just a hundred yards or so on the downtown side of the Downtown East/Metrodome light rail station. Last season they had the trucks lined up. That would be a great place to check.

The plan was to get brewery trucks this sesaon but I don't think the city council got that through. So bring a backpack of beers but be wary of open container laws. You can have open container in the lot and on the plaza within the law. However, be careful other places even tho you will see locals walking around with open beers drinking away. The police generally overlook it but I would not do it if I were you.

Have a good time. I forgot it was a 7:30 pm game so that means the lot won't open until about 1. And you might think about pregame drinks and lunch at a place like Ike's or somewhere close to your hotel and walking down for some lot action after that

minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vikings vs. Packers Tailgating

Sounds like you picked the perfect game for your first one and you're going to have a great time. However, unfortunately there really isn't much of an opportunity of real tailgating at the Metrodome. Hopefully they will change that with the new stadium but until then you may have to go over to Lambeau Field in Geeen Bay. The options around the dome just aren't that great and there really is only one decent option for nearby bars, etc. you could use downtown but it's not as close as you may like.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vikings vs. Packers Tailgating

I disagree bphawk. It's about quality not quantity. The general admission lot (Purple Tailgate 3) lacks the ideal size. You would like to look one way and see the sea of cars that we had once down where Target Field now sits. But the lot that is there now -- albeit not a giant sea of cars that I'd prefer -- will be packed and contains some of the most hardcore tailgaters from the Met Stadium days. It's a condensed experience, but as far as the tailgating that goes on in that lot it's no different from any lot at Lambeau. Those lots are just larger.

And coincidentally I tailgated at Lambeau about a dozen times now, usually for Vikings games. For big rival games it's great to have all the space. But I was there last weekend when GB played Detroit and they didn't fill any of the lots I saw that are owned and operated by the bars on Holmgren Way (Stadium View and The Bar, mainly). So in those cases the tailgating kind of lost the mystique that it has when the place is full of Bears or Vikings fans.

For a Packers game the tailgating at Purple 3 along Portland Ave is going to be a blast. Packers obv bring their tailgating skills. And the MN fans in that lot are true hardcore tailgaters who I've tailgated with when it's 25 below zero.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vikings vs. Packers Tailgating

I also think there are plenty of tailgating spots with lots of fun energy.

We live 4 blocks from Dome.

Swing by for a quick nip before the game and we may join you. We are both mid-30's.

Shannon & Marcel

Edited: 2:08 pm, October 14, 2013
Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vikings vs. Packers Tailgating

If you are staying downtown, there is Team Liquors on 7th and Hennpin (by the Radisson) or Haskell's on 9th and Nicollet (by the W Foshay).

Snax and meat to grille at the downtown Target (9th and Nicollet too).