We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic areas outside Minneapolis?

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
442 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic areas outside Minneapolis?

I am wondering if there are any beautiful scenic areas near Minneapolis. Am going to be there for a short time and am trying to decide if renting a car would be worth it. I don't take hikes, but love seeing beautiful places in nature...any thoughts?

Stillwater...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic areas outside Minneapolis?

Hello,

If you like to see beautiful scenery I would recommend heading east. Specifically the St. Croix River valley is very nice. Towns to visit would be Stillwater or Marine on the St. Croix.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
789 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic areas outside Minneapolis?

Minnehaha Falls Park is in the Minneapolis area and accessible by lightrail. St Anthony Falls on the Mississippi and the Stone Arch Bridge right downtown. Many many lakes in the cities with bike trails, kayaking, etc.

www.visit-twincities.com/sportsleisure.php

nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northameri…

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic areas outside Minneapolis?

This may be farther than you want to go, but Hwy 61 down to Winona and back (you wouldn't have to go this far, either) is beautiful.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
442 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic areas outside Minneapolis?

Thanks for the ideas! Decided not to rent a car so will be limited to the light rail sights. Thanks!

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic areas outside Minneapolis?

As well as places you can visit via light rail, there are scenic places accessible via buses, such as the Sculpture Garden, Lake Calhoun, Lake Harriet, etc.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic areas outside Minneapolis?

The obvious choices are easily connectable via public transit.

The easiest connection (assuming that by MInneapolis you mean you are staying in downtown Mpls) is to connect to Minnehaha Park by light rail. Huge green space with very old huge burr oak trees and old lamposts, great paths for a stroll and a big ol waterfall right in the middle. Historic area with lots to see.

The other is the chain of lakes, which you can connect to by taking a bus down Hennepin Avenue from downtown. Jump off at Calhoun Square -- aka the corner of Lake Street and Hennepin Ave

Form there I would recommend you rent a bike through niceridemn, which has bike rental stations all over the city, including one right near Calhoun Square. Specifically Humboldt ave between Lake and Lagoon. See map.

They are fully automated rental kiosks where you use a credit card to rent a bike -- very easy to figure out. Take the bike and enjoy a ride around Calhoun and be sure to connect to Lake Harriet (the prettiest lake in the chain) via William Berry Parkway (on the south side of Lake Calhoun).

Views of the downtown skyline, sailboats, old mansions, huge old trees, people watching, bandshell, and a nice place for lunch or ice cream cone (Bread and Pickle). Lake Harriet and Minnehaha Park are by far my favorite places in Minneapolis.

7. Re: Scenic areas outside Minneapolis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 05, 2014