We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

minneapolis flight connection

Busselton, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
minneapolis flight connection

Hi my husband & I are looking to fly from Calgary to Iindianapolis doesnt seem that there is a non stop flight. we have to pick the best place for connection any ideas on what airport & how much time to allow in the airport to get to the next flight on time. The airports are either Chicago or Minneapolis. we were thinking around July.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: minneapolis flight connection

i would base the decision on flights available and price rather than airport.

AIf we are comparing airports for connection, I personllly would choose MSP because it is smaller than O'Hare. And I assume it's O'Hare and not Chicago Midway. I'd choose MSP over both, actually, IF the decision was purely based off airports

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,107 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: minneapolis flight connection

I agree that you definitely want to look at the actual times and options. O'Hare is a much larger airport, which means it might be harder to navigate (flights from Calgary arrive in either Terminal 1 or 2, with large jets and regional jets). But, generally, there are more options at O'Hare, too. Being based in Pittsburgh, the number of good connections through MSP are poor (2 a day), while Chicago offers 3-4 reasonable ones. Look at a search site like http://matrix.itasoftware.com or Kayak, to review options.

Busselton, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: minneapolis flight connection

thank you both for your response Being from australia i didnt think about it much, and just realisedI will have to go through customs aswell so a smaller airport maybe my best bet and a 3-4 hr stop over might make it easier.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: minneapolis flight connection

Personally, I'd prefer a two hour layover with having to go through Customs. 3-4 hours is a lot of time to kill without allowing you enough time to do a bit of sightseeing.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,107 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: minneapolis flight connection

FYI: You will clear US Customs in Calgary before departing, not in MSP or ORD. This should not be a concern. Your connection time factors will depend on whether your flight into the US arrives on time (MSP or ORD), de-boards on-time, and how far away your arrival and departure gates are in the connection cities.

Busselton, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: minneapolis flight connection

ok I didnt know that thanks, i just figured leaving Canada and coming into USA I would have to clear customs. That makes it easier. My husband doesnt really like waiting at airports but if you have to thats the way it is.

3-4 hr wait wouldnt be to bad I guess, better to have time up your sleeve than running to the next plane. Thank you everyone for your information.

7. Re: minneapolis flight connection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 26, 2014