We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airport route in rush hour

Minnesota
Level Contributor
382 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best airport route in rush hour

We are headed from Cambridge, MN (50 miles N of Twin Cities on Hwy 65) to the airport this coming Friday. Our international flight leaves at 7:10 p.m., and I can't leave work until 3:30 p.m. So, here's my question: What route is fastest to the airport?

Normally, we would go down Hwy 65 until it merges with 35W via 610/10, and take that to East Crosstown (62) to the airport. That would be how we would go, say, at 3:30 a.m. when we have an early morning flight. (Typical travel time is about 1.25 to 1.5 hours. ) Not certain that it's the fastest/best route during rush hour. We can also swing over and pick up 35E if that's better. Thoughts, opinions, secret passages?.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Minnesota
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airport route in rush hour

I would not do 35E.

If I were to drive it, I would take 65 down to 35W in NE Mpls and connect via Johnson Street. Take that to Hiawatha Avenue/Hwy 55. To be clear, this is no ideal route either because it will be congested with the stoplights and the light rail will add to the congestion. But I think 35W south is going to be congested south of downtown and 62 eastbound (esp between 35W and 77) will be heavy too around 4-5 pm.

From Hiawatha (55) you will take the right-hand cloverleaf onto Highway 55 (no longer Hiawatha Ave -- real highway). Then Hwy 5 (stay to the right, look for airport labels on highway signs) ) to the airport. See google map for visual.

That is most direct, and altho Hiawatha will most certainly be a pain in the butt from Lake Street down to 46th St, it is not that far to be in heavy traffic.

Edited: 1:35 pm, February 18, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Lake Street
Lake Street
20 Reviews
Minneapolis, MN
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airport route in rush hour

Here's a way that I often go, thinking that it saves me time - I'm not sure if it really does. I would take Central (65) down to US10E, then 35W South. Depending on traffic, I would look to take Hwy 280 South and take it to the I94E merge. From there, on I94E for a mile or so, I would exit onto Snelling Ave. South and take this all the way until it merges onto W. 7th. Then, over the river and to the airport.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airport route in rush hour

Thanks!! Those are both good options, and we'll see what Friday brings. Wish us luck!!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
917 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airport route in rush hour

Wow, you folks really must like signal lights!

Not to besmirch mntoathens, but we all know how Mpls. people get lost in St. Paul. LOL

Personally I would try either 35E, (as it is the straightest most direct route), the only part that would concern me would be the "parkway" south of downtown at that time, though, even at rush hr. can not be as bad as all the lights on 7th St. or Hiawatha!

My second choice would be 35E to 694/494, East around St.Paul, to the airport exit. the only slow down here occurs between Hwy 5 and I-94. After that it is clear to the airport.

I would strongly recommend against any route that included the Crosstown at that time of day.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airport route in rush hour

I do work in St. Paul, for the record.

And I know Hiawatha corridor very well from living right next to it. It's a relatively short stretch of lights to get you from 35W to 55/5

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airport route in rush hour

I just re-read my post and it sounds a little more besmirched than I intended.

In reality there is no good route in rush hour. I just think the 7 stoplights on hiawatha are an acceptable risk because otherwise it is the most direct route. And a short distance to go with lights in the grand scheme.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
917 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best airport route in rush hour

mn/athens, I was just teasing. I agree, there really isn't any great route at rush hr. (not from the north). And we all know that what works one day may not work the next, can never guess where those accidents will occur. I personally would rather be doing 30 on a crowded freeway, then 30 with signal lights.

Also, every time I travel Hiawatha, since the light rail was put alongside it, I get nowhere fast. The lights all go red as each train comes and goes and all traffic comes to a standstill. Very frustrating. Not a spot I'd want to be in if I was in a rush to catch a flight.

Another thought is they are calling for snow on Friday, and that could really slow things down everywhere.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best airport route in rush hour

My best advice would be to leave work at 3:00. If ever an extra half hour would help, I would say it would be in this situation. Also, the traffic is likely to be a bit less hectic.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best airport route in rush hour

This is all good advice, and I will try to leave as close to 3:00 as possible. That will help no matter which route we take.

10. Re: Best airport route in rush hour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 23, 2014