We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Neighborhood - Student

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ferndale, MI
1 post
Save Topic
Best Neighborhood - Student

I'll be moving to Minneapolis to begin a PhD program and would like to live in a hip, single or family-oriented diverse neighborhood, complete with a natural food store and cafes (to study of course!) I currently live in Ferndale, MI and would like to find something similiar. Ideally, I'd like to live in a flat, side by side with a family or another quiet neighbor. Any suggestions? Suggestions very much appreciated - thanks.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Neighborhood - Student

I don't know what Ferndale is like, so I can't help you there

I am also assuming you are studying at the U of M

Uptown is an always popular neighborhood centered On Lake St. and Hennepin. Close to the lakes, downtown. Alot of trendy bars, restaurants. Mix of single family homes and old midrise apartments. Lots of entertainment.

Phillips is a neighborhood on the rebound, lots of cheap, turn of the century homes. Retail strip on Lake St., New condos in the old Sears Bldg on Lake and Chicago. Alot less bohemian than Uptown. Demographics are divided evenly between Whites, Blacks and Hispanics, most diverse area I can think of.

Northeast is across the river from downtown. Traditionally populated be Eastern Euro. immigrants, A mixture of old homes and brand new condos. moderately priced. Close to the U of M.

Dinkytown is the area around the University. Lots of college kids. What more is there to say.

Linden Hills is pretty family-orientated. On the West side of Lake Harriet. There is a shopping dist. on 43rd St and Upton. Home to the Linden Hills co-op. More expensive than other areas.

Downtown is seeing a condo boom, nice riverfront recreation, big price ranges. Culturel attractions like the new guthrie thea, Hennepin theater dist., Metrodome. Alot to do, mostly young singles and empty-nesters

This site is from the City of Mpls, gives a good description of diff. neighborhoods

ci.minneapolis.mn.us/neighborhoods/index.asp

Edinarealty.com is a good site for finding real estate