We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business trip in the first week of December

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Business trip in the first week of December

Hello, I am from the sunny tropica area in Singapore and will be heading to MSP for business meetings in the 1st week of Deecember. I am clueless what to pack for the weather! Any kind advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Business trip in the first week of December

Layers! It's easy to take off something if you'e warm.

For outerwear you will definitely want a warm jacket, mittens (warmer than gloves), a hat that covers your ears, scarf, and winter boots. Rule of thumb, if your feet and/or head is cold you will be cold.

If you're staying in downtown Minneapolis you can get to most places via a skyway system.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,550 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Business trip in the first week of December

Your post reminded me of this one posted at the end of 2011:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g43323-i372-k49861…

Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Business trip in the first week of December

Hi,

Thank you for your advise!!! I will be staying downtown.

The link to the earlier post is helpful. Will the weather be as cold as in January?

Edited: 8:54 am, September 24, 2012
Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Business trip in the first week of December

Usually late January is much colder than early December, but weather is always subject to change. We had a very mild winter last year, and with talk of El Nino it might be quite mild this year.

I really agree with the advice of coming with some basics, clothes to be layered, and then you could buy something here if you needed more. I hate wearing boots, and usually get by most winter days wearing old athletic shoes and warm socks. I only drag out the boots if there is several inches of snow, and any type of boot would work for that.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Business trip in the first week of December

For us "not as cold" is around 30F - probably much colder than you're used to in Singapore. Also pay attention to the wind and windchill factor. Wind dramatically affects how they temperature feels on your skin so for any particular day you probably want to dress to the windchill factor (if there is one).

britpile makes a good point regarding boots, they are most critical to keep your feet dry so if it's not wet you will be fine in shoes. But once your feet get wet it becomes very difficult to keep the rest of your body warm.

Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Business trip in the first week of December

Yes 30F is very cold for me as our average lowest temperature (night) is around 81F! Looks like I have to do some serious winter shopping :).

With regards to boots, I am thinking of ankle boos with heels to go with my office wears. Is this ok?

Once again, I really appreciated all your advices and tips:)

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Business trip in the first week of December

Ditto on the skyway if staying in downtown Minneapolis you might never need to go outside. The Skyway system of enclosed bridges between buildings maintains comfortable temperatures and is dry. Over eight miles of indoor paths connecting 69 blocks.

The following interactive map (one of many available on web) illustrates it well. http://skywaymyway.com/

Of course if you want to get out and tour beyond downtown a very warm jacket/coat would be a must along with gloves and a warm hat. Note we are in a bit of a drought so it might be a dry, cold and windy start to Winter - thus boots might not be as much of an issue unless the drought breaks. But often El Nino years are dry all Winter. Might be something to wait and get locally only if needed.

Edited: 1:20 pm, September 25, 2012
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Business trip in the first week of December

Wow the link to the skyway map is really useful! Thanks again for the helpful information!

Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Business trip in the first week of December

Are there any areas or places that I should not go since I will be on my own?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
141 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Business trip in the first week of December

Downtown Mpls is safe, but with any place make sure you are aware of your surrondings.

One thing to check out is Macy's holiday display on the 8th floor auditorium.

Here's a good website to help you with other things to do while in MN:

http://exploreminnesota.com

Enjoy your trip!