We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no light rail

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
170 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
no light rail

I'm arriving at the Minneapolis airport on Friday night the 21st at about 8:30 and staying at the Doubletree on Lasalle. I've just noticed that the light rail would not be operating throughout the weekend due to service. I would I get from the airport to my hotel?

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: no light rail

I believe that when light rail is down, they run the route via bus - check with MetroTransit.org.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
17 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: no light rail

??? I get in Saturday afternoon and it seems to be running when I look at the schedules. Just curious what you found out because I am travelling alone and was planning on taking the light rail to Millenium on Nicolett Mall. Thanks

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
141 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: no light rail

According to the Metro Transit website, "Planned construction and maintenance work will shut down a portion of the Hiawatha light-rail line from about 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 21, through 3:30 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 23.

During that time, Route 55 buses will substitute for light-rail trains between Target Field Station and Franklin Avenue Station. Light-rail trains will operate normally elsewhere along the 12-mile line."

So this means that you can ride the trail from the airport to the Franklin Ave stop. Then you have to get on a bus & it will take you the rest of the way downtown. It's really not a big deal. There are special buses and they make announcements to help you know where to go.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: no light rail

The only thing I would add to what CorpLIbrarian said is just some details about the Franklin Station.

First, the ticket you purchase on the platform at the airport (before you board train) is good for the bus as well. Not just the buses that help during train outages but all metrotransit buses within a 2-hour service window.

When you get to Franklin Station, you will exit the train and take the stairs down to street level and then board the bus there. It will be marked at the bus stop which buses you will want to cotinue your trip downtown. And the public address voice on the train will tell you which bus to connect to as well, so listen to that

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,838 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: no light rail

Franklin Ave is just outside the downtown core. It's not that big of a deal. They will have employees on the platform directing you where to go, etc. I've had that once before en route to the airport.

Get off on Nicollet Mall Station and walk a bit to the Doubletree. Check out Brit's rooftop area while you are there. It's next door and fun.

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
139 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: no light rail

You have been provided with some good info. If all else fails, a good taxi company in the area is Gopher State Taxi 612-866-6999.

Since all of the taxis are required to charge the same rates, Gopher State tries to differentiate themselves by top customer service.

Enjoy your trip!

7. Re: no light rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, December 13, 2013