We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park Place Area to Downtown

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Park Place Area to Downtown

Looking at staying at Park Place DoubleTree or Homewood Suites. Would like be without a car for the stay. Is there a transfer to downtown? Cab?

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park Place Area to Downtown

I wouldn't consider a St. Louis Park hotel a convenient location without a car. I believe they provide shuttles for nearby locations, but not for downtown, MOA, or the airport. Downtown or locations near the Light Rail (MOA, nearby locations in Bloomington) are more convenient without a car.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
1,033 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park Place Area to Downtown

Take a cab, it's about 5 miles to downtown. If traveling during rush hours there can be traffic, otherwise it's about a 5 - 10 minute ride.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,877 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park Place Area to Downtown

I know this area well, because I'm from St. Louis Park and I usually stay at one of these 2 hotels when I come back and visit. I recommend the Homewood Suites, but the Doubletree is nice, too. I've reviewed both. As stated, there is no airport shuttle to this hotel. If that's what you want, then you will cab it or maybe Super Shuttle. I usually rent a car.

You can consider public transportation, but it will involve a transfer downtown - also this can be done in reverse to get downtown. There is a Park & Ride (Park Place Park & Ride) just up the street from the hotels. Route 9 (weekdays and weekends) and Route 649 (during the week) can get you into downtown or allow you to transfer from the lightrail from the airport or MOA, to the Park & Ride. In fact, the routes might get you closer to your hotel, as well, see the following links.

metrotransit.org/Schedules/WebSchedules.aspx…

metrotransit.org/Schedules/WebSchedules.aspx…

Again, as stated, it's only 5 miles or so into downtown - but this trip can cost $15-$20 depending on the traffic & tip.

www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php…

Lots of things to weigh out.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park Place Area to Downtown

That DoubleTree is and older property.

The other is brand new.

Taxi is good option.

Be sure to check out all the fun stuff the new WestEnd development has to offer. It's a fun place.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park Place Area to Downtown

I agree with BK, lots to weigh out. You'll have to ask yourself how much you'll be going into downtown or other destinations, and what is most important to you. Time? Cost? Convenience?

From MSP Airport, you can take the Light Rail Train (www.metrotransit.org/light-rail.aspx) into the core of downtown and then transfer to one of the lines BK mentioned to get to the hotel. About 35 minutes to downtown, and 30 minutes or so on the 9 or 649 (plus time waiting on the transfer between the two). Other alternative is Super Shuttle at somewhere around $20-22 for a one-way ticket (will go door-to-door, but will make stops along the way so still will spend time).

Taxi to the hotels would be in the area of $50-55.

If you plan to be going from St. Louis Park into downtown often, you may find the time and (if you use taxis) cabfare make it not feasible - you'd spend more than a car rental.

Is there a particular reason you are looking at those two hotels? I'm not trying to talk you out of them as they are fine hotels, just curious if there is something that brings you specifically to that area.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Park Place Area to Downtown

Unless you have a specific reason to stay at them, I agree with the above. Much better choices elsewhere.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Park Place Area to Downtown

Looks like we can get into to Hilton Garden Inn for the four days we want. Thanks for the replies. The cost $119 a night great deal.

Can we use the Light Rail to Downtown and the Hilton Garden Inn?

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park Place Area to Downtown

Take the LightRail to Government Plaza station, then walk south - it maybe 5-6 blocks, but you'll see it. Straight shot down if you walk 4th Avenue - it's a OneWay heading south - can't miss it.

You'll like Hilton Garden Inn - there's some places a few blocks away to eat - Hell's Kitchen, Devil's Advocate, and get to Nicollet Mall and there's plenty to eat & drink.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park Place Area to Downtown

There is also a bus you could transfer to from the Light Rail that will get you to 11th St. & 3 Av S., one block away from the hotel. It's route #10, and you would catch it near the Nicollet Av. station. It runs about every 10 minutes, and takes about 8-9 minutes as it jogs south a couple blocks and swings by the Convention Center. metrotransit.org/Schedules/WebSchedules.aspx… It's probably easier to walk, but if it's raining, you're hauling luggage and tired....

Edited: 2:03 pm, August 07, 2012
10. Re: Park Place Area to Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 09, 2013