We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minneapolis vs. Saint Paul--where to stay--again

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Minneapolis vs. Saint Paul--where to stay--again

I saw that you had that question recently. Different from that thread, we'll have a car, we'll be on our way from the East Coast to the West. So we'll need to pay for parking any place that charges. We're willing to pay for parking if the location is good.

We'll also want to be taking our teenager to see Carleton and McAlester Colleges. We're planning to be there August 5-8, which are weekdays.. As you can probably tell already, we've never been there before.

One of us can't walk more than a few blocks, but we do like to stay in pleasant, walkable areas. A hotel with a pool one can actually swim in is good, but we can always go to the Y. Contradicting our demands, we're trying not to spend too much money. A place would have to be very good to be worth more than about $200 per night (but maybe the Saint Paul Hotel is worth it?). Please advise.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minneapolis vs. Saint Paul--where to stay--again

Update--We see that Carleton is in Northfield, 45 miles away, so we'd visit it separately. We got bad information from a college counselor.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minneapolis vs. Saint Paul--where to stay--again

The question is would you rather stay in a city or in the suburbs? The rates are higher and you have to pay for parking in either downtown while there are some nice hotels in the burbs with free parking. One could stay in either Eagan or Burnsville and easily drive to both Macalester or Carleton. I mentioned Burnsville as we have a recently updated Best Western Premier Nicollet Inn (former Holiday Inn) that several people have written complimentary reviews on. It's right off I35.

Of course most of our restaurants are chain restaurants here in the burbs, but I'm very fond of an independent little Italian restaurant near me, Guiseppe's.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minneapolis vs. Saint Paul--where to stay--again

That question I can answer, we'd rather stay in a city, even with a parking charge. I think we'll try to visit Carleton on the way into Minneapolis either coming east or going west. Mankato is a possible stop going east, we might try visiting Carleton from there and then come up into the city.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minneapolis vs. Saint Paul--where to stay--again

St Paul is more calm, cool, low-key and subdued. IMHO.

Minneapolis is more jumping' and lively.

Try the Westin downtown Minneapolis. They have a pool and close to the action.

Or, consider Marriott Springhill Suites cleverly tucked in the Warehouse District just north of new Twin's Stadium. If so, strive to dine at BlackSheep CoalFired Pizza nearby.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minneapolis vs. Saint Paul--where to stay--again

As a guy who spent the first 32 years of his life in St. Paul, I would tell you to stay in Minneapolis. Mpls is easy to have fun in, it jumps out at you. St. Paul is like old single malt scotch, ya gotta acquire a taste for it, and once you do it's a fun city.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minneapolis vs. Saint Paul--where to stay--again

Unfortunately there is not a hotel near the Mac campus.

The good news is the campus is equally close to either downtown so either DT will offer fairly quick access to Mac. BTW. there are several good ethnic restaurants on Grande Ave adjacent to the Mac campus.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minneapolis vs. Saint Paul--where to stay--again

I think others have done a good job summing it up -- especially the scotch reference re: St. Paul.

Downtown Mpls offers more to see in a more concentrated space, with excellent dining options everywhere but higher rates and a parking charge of about $15-$20 a night. The burbs offer lower rates and free parking but almost nothing to do, IMO.

The Westin is a good suggestion by DowntownMpls because it meets the pool criterion and is central. However, if amember of your group can walk only short distances you might want to take a taxi to the more scenic areas like Stone Arch Bridge and maybe take the train to Minnehaha Park to see the falls and maybe get a nice informal lunch in what I think is the prettiest dining setting in Minneapolis: Sea Salt.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Minneapolis vs. Saint Paul--where to stay--again

SailingFan, you are spot on

I'm going to use that.

9. Re: Minneapolis vs. Saint Paul--where to stay--again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, June 20, 2013