We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a good hotel recommendation near convention center

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
290 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Need a good hotel recommendation near convention center

Going to Minneapolis to a conference soon. Downtown hotels are very high priced. I would like to do a PL bid. Any other area that could please recommend me to check not far from convention center and places to eat and shop?

Much apreaciated!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a good hotel recommendation near convention center

You may have to decide between the price but convenience of downtown hotels or the inconvenience but cost savings of Bloomington hotels (which would be the next closest to downtown). Bloomington offers the option of taking the Light Rail Train to downtown if you choose that option. MOA does offer the eating and shopping, obviously. It is about a 40 minute ride from MOA to Nicollet Mall (which puts you either a 6 block walk to the CC, or transfer to any bus going down Nicollet Mall for the 6 blocks)

Also keep in mind, depending on how busy downtown is for hotels (which will depend on the size of your convention, if the Twins are in town, and normal business travelers at the hotel) PL may be of limited help. Supply and demand will kick in and hotels may be closing out their PL rates (or raising those as well) if the belief is downtown will sell out anyway.

That all said, check out these options: check out Aspen Suites (which used to be a Comfort Suites, recently deflagged) or Best Western Normandy Inn downtown These trend somewhat less expensive for downtown. Also consider Holiday Inn Metrodome, University Hotel Minneapolis, or Sheraton Hotel Midtown. These might be slightly less expensive while still being in the city as they are just off of downtown core (though, if downtown is completely sold out, these are the next hotels everyone will also be looking at, which these hotels probably know, so not always significantly less). Note: University Hotel is in the midst of major renovations and there is significant construction all around the hotel.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a good hotel recommendation near convention center

My Wisconsin buds do Priceline whenever they are in town. They bid on a 4 star downtown Minneapolis. 90% of the time they get either the Hyatt or the Millennium. They are across the street from each other about two blocks from C.Center.

Plenty of food options on Nicollet Mall both north and south of those hotels.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
290 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a good hotel recommendation near convention center

Thank you very much for your replies and useful information.

I finally settled for the Comfort Suites (Aspen), a bit nervous about it based on the reviews. Other choices would not give me 4 straight nights that I need.

Could you please help me again?

1) How do I get from the MSP to the hotel preferably by public transportation? or am I crazy and should be considering a car rental? (Departing MSP at 7:30a Sat morning).

2) Getting from the hotel to the convention center, is it walking distance or a bus ride?

3)Recommendations for good, not expensive meal downtown (love Italian!).

Thanks agan!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a good hotel recommendation near convention center

Comfort Suites will likely be okay, it's just a fairly worn product. It was an Embassy Suites for a long time, then reflagged a Comfort Suites when the property would no longer qualify as a Hilton product, then now went independent. They do offer probably some of the best rates for a downtown property and are on the Minneapolis Skyway system so location is decent for downtown.

1) Most people opt for the Light Rail Train (www.metrotransit.org/light-rail.aspx). It runs out of MSP itself and into downtown, with trains running about every 10 minutes all day long. Cost is about $2/person. Unless you need to travel outside of downtown, I wouldn't find a car necessary.

2) You should be able to walk from Aspen to the Convention, about a 10 minute walk. Downtown Minneapolis also has what is known as the Skyway system. These are enclosed pedestrian bridges between most downtown buildings and would allow you to walk without going outside if weather is not cooperating.

3) Lots of options - Old Spaghetti Factory or Buca di Peppo would be some less expensive Italian options. Hell's Kitchen (not related to the show) is a fun option, also consider Brit's on Nicollet (British pub theme). You might also want to consider (for lunch) the Sky Room on the top floor of the Macy's Department Store downtown. Historically, the building that is now Macy's was local Dayton's Department Store. They have long had the Sky Room and nice casual lunch with good views from all the windows. In fact, I need to put together a group for lunch sometime! (yelp.com/biz/sky-room-at-macys-minneapolis)

Others might have additional ideas.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a good hotel recommendation near convention center

If you just looking for a place to crash for cheap, Aspen will do the trick. It's just too much of a dump for me.

Price out Holiday Inn Express or Hilton Garden Inn. Both are very close to C.Center. Aspen would be maybe 15 min walk at good clip.

Don't rent car.

Take light rail from airport to downtown Govt Center station to get to any of the hotels I've mentioned. Only one rail line so you can't get lost. Runs from downtown to MegaMall via airport.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a good hotel recommendation near convention center

This thread has confused me. I just (June 7) reserved the hotel at 425 7th St. under the name Comfort Suites. But you all are saying that it's Aspen Suites now. I've got a reservation for early August from Comfort Suites, should I be concerned about its validity?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a good hotel recommendation near convention center

I wouldn't worry too much. It is the same hotel. The ownership of the hotel appears to be giving up the franchise agreement with Comfort Suites to use their name and reservation system (or Comfort Suites is ending their relationship with the hotel - same practical difference for you as a guest). Most of the chains, as part of their franchise agreement with the individual hotels (and all the brands to the best of my knowledge franchise about 99% of their hotels, though sometimes corporately manage a hotel for an owner), must agree to honor all reservations while made under the name of the brand- even if they give up the name. You won't get any loyalty points if they aren't a Comfort Suites but you should get the room you reserved and the price you were quotes (and terms and conditions of the rate you reserved, to the extent that is a consideration).

If you didn't select a pre-paid or otherwise non-cancelable rate, you can always shop for another hotel and cancel the reservation if that helps you worry less about the reservation. Otherwise, call the hotel and ask them what they intend to do on your reservation. If they plan on not honoring it, then I would either cancel or call Comfort Suites (which is a Choice Hotels brand) and start complaining. In a worst case scenario where you pre-paid, I wonder if you could call your credit card company and dispute the charge saying the merchant substantially changed the product they were selling.

More practically, unless they are outright shutting down the entire hotel (which I have not heard), they should want the business they already had planned on accepting so one wouldn't think they would be wanting to not honor reservations and expected revenue.

Edited: 1:17 am, June 11, 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a good hotel recommendation near convention center

There's been some inter-hotel speculation as to whether or not they are now going to be a different hotel or if they are going back to a Comfort Suites (potentially a sale fell through, etc.). I can't speculate at this point.

However, I can tell you as long as your not too much of a fussy traveler, that the Comfort Suites will be fine. It is very worn and has been in desperate need of a renovation, but if you can overlook that, the rooms are enormous and they've done the best they can to keep the building in good condition. As it was an Embassy once upon a yesteryear, they are huge suites, and the atrium center has a great breakfast area - probably one of the best free breakfasts at a hotel I've ever had, honestly.

If you're used to staying in 5 star hotels, you're going to hate the place. Just keep an open mind and take it for what it is, and you'll be fine. Outside of the kitschy, 80's design, the hotel is not nearly as bad as people on TripAdvisor often suggest. It just needs a renovation.

As far as other hotels, the rates are going to be extremely high, especially those near the convention center. In instances such as this, you are unlikely to be able to get a good Priceline bid accepted until pretty much the night before arrival, as most hotels will turn off the third-party rates (or keep them near the best available rate they are offering), until the date of arrival gets closer. This allows them to maintain rate integrity, while selling as many rooms as possible. If they have a decent number of rooms to sell close to the date of arrival, they may lower the Priceline rate marginally - but keep in mind that compression - the large amount of people needing a limited number of rooms for an event such as a citywide like this, pretty much means that the hotels know they can sell out or come darn close to it without lowering the rate much.

9. Re: Need a good hotel recommendation near convention center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 21, 2013