We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food specialties

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
food specialties

When travelling we like to eat places that have food a bit unique to the area we are in. For example, while in Miami recently we had the most amazing Cuban food.

Any suggestions on where we might check out? We will likely be taking transit for the most part (plan on staying near MOA but nothing booked yet) but will have our vehicle with us if it's required and worth it. Not really interested high end places, unless there is something that truly screams Minneapolis.

Thanks.

ktown

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food specialties

Minnesotans love food and they really love food that comes from Minnesota. In other words, we are a passionate group about farm-to-table dining (and also lake to table). Two places I would suggest for that:

1. Heartland in St. Paul

2. Corner Table in Minneapolis

We also have a large (maybe largest in US) Vietnamese population, which means you can get some great Vietnamese dining experiences in St. Paul, mainly along the University Ave corridor.

1. Ngon Bistro (upper scalish and a little spendier tho not bad at all)

2. Hoa Bien (good prices)

3. Mai Village (in between, nice setting)

Of course, there is Food Network's obsession with Minnesota, the Jucy Lucy (invented in Minneapolis). I like the Blue Door PUb for those. In St. Paul.

Bu tperhaps the best known dish up here is our state fish, walleye. We're pretty fussy about it. Best place:

1. Tavern on Grand in St. Paul

Don't worry that most suggestions are in St. Paul. It's right next door!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food specialties

Excellent suggestions. Thanks so much! I'm taking notes. I don't have cable, so have no idea what is popular on the food network (I actually find it quite amazing that there is a whole channel devoted to it).

Thanks again.

ktown

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,876 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food specialties

mntoathens nailed some great ideas. When I think about Minneapolis, there are tons of great interesting restaurants. Things that set it apart: passionate about Walleye, Vegetarian restaurants, and Vietnamese restaurants. 2 additions would be pick a spot in Northeast Minneapolis (Nordeast) - some interesting places there, and BEER. Some great local brews.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food specialties

Unique:

Lutefisk

http://www.olsenfish.com/article6.cfm

minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food specialties

One thing I would recommend is checking out the local food being served at the farmer's markets - namely Mill City Market (Saturdays) or the Kingsfield Market (Sundays). They have many of the same vendors, but the MCM is much larger.

Walleye is a local favorite, but know that IMHO it is a relatively bland fish with small bones. The true artistry is in how it's prepared.

I would highly recommend Lucia's, French Meadow Bakery and Travail. They truly specialize in doing amazing things with local food. My personal favorite restaurant is moto-i - delicious Japanese street food and reportedly the only sake brewery in the country (not sure I believe that, but it's their claim). Great happy hour specials, amazing weekend breakfasts, killer sake cocktails and an awesome rooftop patio to watch the sunset or a storm blow in (we've done both :0). And Sebastian Joe's is my only ice cream craving, decadent and worth it!

MN prides itself in the abundance of high quality local ingredients almost year round, which says a lot for such a cold winter state. Welcome!

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food specialties

Thank you all for your amazing input!

Our schedule has us in Minneapolis on a Monday and Tuesday night, so some of market suggestions may have to wait for another trip.

Thanks again!

ktown

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food specialties

tptr - Yes, you have it...that sounds unique! Problem is when I read about it my lips curled into a grimace. Sounds disgusting. Sorry to those lutefisk connoisseurs out there.

ktown

8. Re: food specialties

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, June 22, 2013